• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MTS files converter recommendations

Reaction score
Before I realized better I copied my SONY AVCHD files onto my HD without the hierarchies. So, I know I need an MTS converter. I tried Handbrake (because it was mentioned in this forum), but all I got was sound, but no video (I used the default settings i.e. creating an mp4 files using the H.264 codec).
(i) any ideas why the video portion wasn't converted?
(ii) any recommendations on other converters? This is such a big problem for me and I have already spent hours trying to figure it out that I don't mind paying for commercial software. I was about to buy the MTS converter from Moyea software, but then I saw some comments elsewhere that there are a lot of spammers with buggy software and possibly malicious code (e.g. iSkySoft seemed to get a bad rap). So, can anyone recommend a legitimate converter?
BTW, I want to edit the files in FCP
Thank you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, but I get an error message "File open error: unsupported file type" when I drag & drop an MTS file or "Open File". If click on "open anyway" I don't see the video footage. I actually had better success with the trial version of Moyea MTS Converter, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I would like know if these are legitimate programs as I have seen warnings to not purchase similar converters. Most of the products have different names yet the GUIs look very similar which makes me a bit suspicious. So, if I can't get MPEG Streamclip to work can you recommend any other, freeware or not. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
ffmpegx will handle these files, all be it slowly, but it's free.
Short of that Aimersoft Total Media converter, and iSkysoft Video Converter will definitely work, but both cost (around $40 I think). As you said, they have a similar GUI, but both are legit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I would not use Aimersoft or iSkysoft, if you search the forums here, they have a very low reputation, and are generally considered sham-ware (basically work enough to get you to buy them, but instead of having a product that works like other converters, they sell many different products that all do the same or similar thing - looking at aimersoft as an example, why are there that many converters for video? why is there a separate converter for mkv files? (there is no point, mkv containers are no more or less complicated then other containers), etc.) Plus, they advertise via spam posting to message boards, like this one - you'll se a bunch crop up which are quickly deleted by the mods.

A valid, but slow product is Visualhub which should work on your mts files.

In terms of why handbrake provided no video, honestly I'm not sure - I've converted mts files with it before and it work as it should. Of course, mts is just a container, and there could be something about the way Sony encoded the video that Handbrake just couldn't decode it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. Greatly appreciated. I will try your suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.