Watching video. Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
If I buy movies via itunes that are HD will I notice a difference in the quality of the video compared to a SD video sold on itunes?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Haven't compared the two of them, but I can. Give me a little while.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let me first say, I have not purchased any non-HD content when HD was available since I bought that first HD-DVD player... what 3 yrs ago now? 4?... time flies anymore.

My quick test was of Ratatouille SD, Lost HD & SD, Stargate Universe HD & SD - all iTunes purchases. I've watched all these on a 58" and/or 65" screen. Even my wife can tell the diff between SD & HD now on most shows, although our current TV upscales amazingly well. I'm watching from a distance ranging from about 12-18" and sitting in a dark room.

Ratatouille on the big screen is definitely SD and it shows. Number one, the clarity is just missing. It looks great on the iPad.

Lost: Looked at lots of bright scenes - blue sky and ocean, orange explosions, greenery of forests... The colors are gorgeous... On both SD & HD. Just in a quick comparison, scene for scene, I can't see the difference. Maybe if I paused two different units at the same place and compared, but even I am not that picky.

Stargate: Looked at dark, black scenes with a lot of shadow. Still, sorry, can't see it. Space battle sequences look great. My guess, without directly comparing, is that there is some, and maybe a fair amount of shadow detail missing in either one of them compared to the big screen.

Bottomline: I'll continue purchasing HD content as the primary place I'll watch it will be on a big screen. (Let me also say, iTunes HD does not compare to B-R.) But, it sure does appear that I can put a check mark in that 'Prefer standard definition videos' box to save the space on my iPad instead of just assuming I needed the HD versions.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Let me first say, I have not purchased any non-HD content when HD was available since I bought that first HD-DVD player... what 3 yrs ago now? 4?... time flies anymore.

My quick test was of Ratatouille SD, Lost HD & SD, Stargate Universe HD & SD - all iTunes purchases. I've watched all these on a 58" and/or 65" screen. Even my wife can tell the diff between SD & HD now on most shows, although our current TV upscales amazingly well. I'm watching from a distance ranging from about 12-18" and sitting in a dark room.

Ratatouille on the big screen is definitely SD and it shows. Number one, the clarity is just missing. It looks great on the iPad.

Lost: Looked at lots of bright scenes - blue sky and ocean, orange explosions, greenery of forests... The colors are gorgeous... On both SD & HD. Just in a quick comparison, scene for scene, I can't see the difference. Maybe if I paused two different units at the same place and compared, but even I am not that picky.

Stargate: Looked at dark, black scenes with a lot of shadow. Still, sorry, can't see it. Space battle sequences look great. My guess, without directly comparing, is that there is some, and maybe a fair amount of shadow detail missing in either one of them compared to the big screen.

Bottomline: I'll continue purchasing HD content as the primary place I'll watch it will be on a big screen. (Let me also say, iTunes HD does not compare to B-R.) But, it sure does appear that I can put a check mark in that 'Prefer standard definition videos' box to save the space on my iPad instead of just assuming I needed the HD versions.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. It sounds like there is not much difference between SD and HD on the ipad screen in your opinion?

Anyone else had a chance to watch both SD and HD on the ipad and care to comment on the difference if there is any?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.