Hello there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new MacBook, 2GB ram, 250GB HDD
Hi!

I'm Michael, and i'm going to receive a MacBook within the next few weeks!!

I went to The Gadget Show Live event at the NEC this weekend. Anyone who went to the Supertheatre would have become familiar with a free text competition they had going, well i entered and won!!!

I got £2,000 to spend at dixons.co.uk, and one of my many items is going to be a MacBook!

I've opted for the "basic" MacBook with 2GB ram and 250GB HDD. It's all i realistically need and also, i think it looks alot better than the MBP!

Well, just a little something to say how now brown cow to all of you :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I went to The Gadget Show Live event at the NEC this weekend. Anyone who went to the Supertheatre would have become familiar with a free text competition they had going, well i entered and won!!!

I got £2,000 to spend at dixons.co.uk, and one of my many items is going to be a MacBook!

WOW...that's pretty darn awesome!!!:)

The "basic" MacBook is only £816...you have £2,000 to spend...what else are you going to get?

Personally I woud go for the 17" MacBook Pro for £1,889...but I can completely understand if that's a lot bigger computer than you might want to haul around!;)

Heck...you could get the low-end Mac Pro as well for £1,940...or a Quad-core 27" iMac for £1,634!!!

Wow...£2,000 gives you lots & lots of choices!!!:):):)

Welcome to Mac-Forums,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick :)

Well, the only two MacBooks that were in stock is the basic one and the base MBP. What baffled me is that the basic MacBook has a better spec!

It has 250GB HDD, the MBP has a 160GB HDD! So i think i made the right decision. The MacBook on dixons.co.uk was £745!

The other things i'm getting:

• Sony Bravia 37" LCD TV
    Panasonic HDD Camcorder
    JBL Radial iPod dock
    JBL Duet II computer speakers
    Sagem freeview recorder
    TV stand
    PURE DAB clock radio
    Swordfish laptop sleeve
    Apple remote

I treated myself a little!

My original plan was to save up for a Mac Mini, so i already have Apple keyboard and wireless mouse and a 22" Samsung HD monitor so i have myself a nice DIY docking station also!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MacBook on dixons.co.uk was £745!

Sorry...I completely forgot that your £2,000 prize was only redeemable at "Dixon's" versus the Apple Store UK. I just went to the Dixon's website...and I see what you mean about how they (Dixon's) only has two Mac laptop's in stock. Could you have waited until some of the higher end laptops were in stock?

Wow...that's quite a list of goodies! Pretty cool being the BIG winner!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the man from Channel Five only has 28 days to order and get it all delivered to me, so i didn't want to mess them about.

I'm really not fussed anyway, i'm happy with that i have ordered! I absolutely adore the design of the base MacBook, i think it looks nicer than MacBook Pro's.

So now i'm waiting! I've wanted a Mac for ages! I was about to start saving up for one so i'm very glad i don't have to do that anymore. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad
Congrats on your big score!!! Enjoy your MB. We had a pc notebook and switched to an iMac. Now we want a notebook because we miss it. Perhaps a MB is in our near future also!

Aaron

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on your big score!!! Enjoy your MB. We had a pc notebook and switched to an iMac. Now we want a notebook because we miss it. Perhaps a MB is in our near future also!

Aaron

I was swapping and changing between an iMac and a MacBook! But then i decided on the MacBook as, if i had a desktop i would spend too much time in my room by myself which (surprisingly for an 18 year old) isn't what i want to do!

I cannot wait until it's all confirmed now! It shall be a very good day when the van arrives at my house :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Welcome to forum Michael and congrats on the prize winning. Talk about a great prize to win. With all the other stuff you are getting, I think we forum members know where the new hangout is going be. You better make room in your house because you are going to get uninvited guests soon. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh no!! :Shouting: :Smirk:

My room will take a bit of a transformation!!

going from an empty desk and a 28" mahoosive TV to a desk with a 22" monitor, keyboard and mouse with ipod dock and macbook with a dab clock radio and kickass speakers will be a very welcome addition!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well, the man from Channel Five only has 28 days to order and get it all delivered to me, so i didn't want to mess them about.

I'm really not fussed anyway, i'm happy with that i have ordered! I absolutely adore the design of the base MacBook, i think it looks nicer than MacBook Pro's.

So now i'm waiting! I've wanted a Mac for ages! I was about to start saving up for one so i'm very glad i don't have to do that anymore. :)

The main reasons the pros are better, even with only a 160GB hdd vs 250 in the regular macbook...

I'd like to see your plastic macbook survive a fall off the 2 foot coffee table with its screen open and not incur some sort of structural damage. My aluminum MacBook (basically 13 inch pro) lived and is fine *knock on wood*.

I'd also like to see your plastic macbook survive a drum stick to the back of the screen. Mine has and does frequently. Yes, my MacBook is constantly in the line of fire while I record practices for the metal band. Dang drummers not being able to hold onto sticks.

Other than that, congrats!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The likelihoods of me whacking my MacBook with a drum stick is going to be pretty low to be honest.....

Dropping it isn't going to be high up on my agenda either, i'll try my best not to.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the only two MacBooks that were in stock is the basic one and the base MBP.

Here's something I just thought of. I know that you're really excited to get your new Mac (and other goodies). But if you REALLY wanted a higher end Macintosh laptop...you could sell the MacBook you're getting from Dixon's (maybe the 37" LCD TV too)...collect the cash...add any cash you already have...and get a higher end Macintosh laptop from the Apple UK Store.

Just a thought,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thought of selling has only fluttered around for a few moments. I'm more than happy with a white MacBook! Never been yearning for a MBP.

And the idea of having my very own 37" TV in my bedroom makes me smile rather alot!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the idea of having my very own 37" TV in my bedroom makes me smile rather alot!!!

Well...you could sell the MacBook & the 37" TV...collect the cash...and purchase a 52" LCD TV or larger!!!:) But then you wouldn't have a Mac computer!:(

Bigger is Better!!!:)

- Nick

p.s. Bigger is better depending in the room size.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an attic room so 37" is MORE than big enough!!

I've worked out it will fit just right :) If i had a bigger room with a bigger (and not diagonal!) wall i would have gone for the biggest i could get!

37" will do me good though, especially as i've paid nothing for it!!! :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.