Activating iPhone 3G

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought my iPhone off eBay and i restored it to its factory settings with the 3.1.3 firmware.

I don't have the original sim card to activate it is there a way to bypass this activation screen (with emergency calls only)?
I'm not sure but i think its original carrier was AT&T, maybe if i bought a AT&T card i can activate the iPhone - if this works can i use Pwnage/Blackr1an to unlock and jailbreak my phone?

Thanks for your time.
PS i have tried PWNAGE 3.1.5 to create a custom restore - when i try to restore with this custom one it comes up with error 2001 or sometimes 1604.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All the jailbreaking talk is not allowed here..

As far as activating it goes..you'll want to get a SIM card to start with..and you'll need to likely activate with AT&T..

Regards

OP
L
Reaction score
All the jailbreaking talk is not allowed here..

As far as activating it goes..you'll want to get a SIM card to start with..and you'll need to likely activate with AT&T..

Regards

Oh i didn't realise, i'm terribly sorry.

So i can use another AT&T (other than the original) simcard to activate the iPhone?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
You will be given a new sim card at activation. I don't think you can re-activate an old sim.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The way I went about this when I got my iPhone 3G from eBay, was to take the SIM card I had in my cheapo Nokia that I got with my AT&T contract..and I could immediately use the phone to make/receive phone calls..

I then called AT&T and told them about the iPhone and had them activate the data plan. They asked for the phone IMEI number and the SIM card's information and fully got my iPhone 3G running on their network..

Regards

OP
L
Reaction score
You will be given a new sim card at activation. I don't think you can re-activate an old sim.

hi thanks for the reply.
But, you see, the thing is that i'm from the UK and i believe that the iPhone was originally from the US and locked with an AT&T sim.
I was thinking of buying a AT&T sim off eBay so that i can activate it.

Thanks

OP
L
Reaction score
The way I went about this when I got my iPhone 3G from eBay, was to take the SIM card I had in my cheapo Nokia that I got with my AT&T contract..and I could immediately use the phone to make/receive phone calls..

I then called AT&T and told them about the iPhone and had them activate the data plan. They asked for the phone IMEI number and the SIM card's information and fully got my iPhone 3G running on their network..

Regards

Oh right, but i don't think that is possible for me as i live in the uk....
and you have to 'Activate your sim' to actually use it fully???

thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One distinction about my iPhone 3G is that it was unlocked by AT&T when I got it. So technically I could've used anybody's SIM card with it and made it work..

Now, if you have a friend with a spare SIM or grab one from the pay-as-you-go services (I imagine you have these in UK)..you can try the SIM to see if the phone will at least work as a phone..and then you'll have to figure out the Internet piece..

It's usually good to buy fully unlocked phones so that you don't have this issue..especially if you're going to get one that was in use in the US..but hindsight, 20/20 and all that jazz..

Regards

OP
L
Reaction score
One distinction about my iPhone 3G is that it was unlocked by AT&T when I got it. So technically I could've used anybody's SIM card with it and made it work..

Now, if you have a friend with a spare SIM or grab one from the pay-as-you-go services (I imagine you have these in UK)..you can try the SIM to see if the phone will at least work as a phone..and then you'll have to figure out the Internet piece..

It's usually good to buy fully unlocked phones so that you don't have this issue..especially if you're going to get one that was in use in the US..but hindsight, 20/20 and all that jazz..

Regards

I was debating whether to purchase this sim from ebay;
ATT AT&T SIM card Unlock iPhone 3GS GSM PDA Cell Phone on eBay (end time 29-Apr-10 19:09:45 BST)

I just need access to the springboard (get past the emergency calls only) so that i can 'unlock my iPhone'.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That seems to be exactly what you wanted and if you can indeed get the thing for just the $3.99 and no more..than it's worth giving a shot to see if it will allow you to use your phone..

Regards

OP
L
Reaction score
That seems to be exactly what you wanted and if you can indeed get the thing for just the $3.99 and no more..than it's worth giving a shot to see if it will allow you to use your phone..

Regards

Alright then its done, Ill give it a blast!
Thanks for you time and advice Raz0rEdge, much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.