iPad Music Dock & VGA Video Cable Questions

Reaction score
Okay, so I took the plunge yesterday and bout the iPad. It is AWESOME!!!

I had two questions about it, though:

1) I have a Bose SoundDock I use to listen to my iPod in and I love the sound. Since the iPad will (obviously) not fit into the dock that is made for iPods, is there a cable that would plug into the iPad as a male and into the Bose dock as a female? I know I could plug it into the AUX input, but I would like to keep the purest sound possible, and charge it at the same time. Is this something that is out, or will be out?

2) I've seen the VGA cable on Apple's website and I'm interested at this point. But iPad allows for playback of HD movies, etc. On Apple's site, they don't mention the resolution of the signal with the VGA cable, they just say it displays your items on a TV. iPod's native resolution is 480i. I'm assuming that with the VGA cable, it will produce an HD video output (720p?, 1080p?). Does anyone know what the real specs are for this output.

Thanks!!! And I hope everyone else is enjoying their iPad just as much as I am. I can't put it down!!!!!!!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
C

chas_m

I've seen the VGA cable on Apple's website and I'm interested at this point. But iPad allows for playback of HD movies, etc. On Apple's site, they don't mention the resolution of the signal with the VGA cable, they just say it displays your items on a TV. iPod's native resolution is 480i. I'm assuming that with the VGA cable, it will produce an HD video output (720p?, 1080p?). Does anyone know what the real specs are for this output.

Yes. The iPad will output up to 720p.

This is not a limitation of the VGA cable, which could display higher-res than that; it's a limitation of the iPad.

You can also use the Apple Component AV cable, which will output 576p/480p, or the Apple Composite AV cable, which will output 576i/480i. These are primarily options for people who either don't have an HDTV source or who already have one of these cables; you'd obviously want the VGA output for connecting to an HDTV-capable target.

OP
J
Reaction score
Perfect!

For the connection, I will end up using the dock cable. The extender seems cool, but I'm afraid that the iPad will block the speakers (since it's so big!). I'd also worry about it being too hard on the Bose connector, because it was intended to support the iPod, which weighs much less.

I am definitely sold on the VGA cable. This is exactly what I was hoping it would do.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.