• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So Who's waiting for the 11th Doctor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hey all,

I was wondering who else stateside is anxiously waiting the April 17th first episode of the "Season 5" Doctor Who with the new 11th Doctor?

Although I'm not sure how I feel about the actor they chose to play the 11th Doctor, I know I'll be watching it, I'm really curious since I've seen the "A First Look" 9 minute exclusive (if you haven't seen it, you can download it for free on iTunes)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
Although I'm not sure how I feel about the actor they chose to play the 11th Doctor, I know I'll be watching it, I'm really curious since I've seen the "A First Look" 9 minute exclusive (if you haven't seen it, you can download it for free on iTunes)

Thanks for the tip there. I didn't know about that.

Sadly I won't be able to see it till it comes out on DVD. There are very few times that I actually miss cable. So I am rewatching the previous seasons that I have on DVD and streaming old Dr. Who from Netflix.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got a bunch of old Doctor Who in my queue at Netflix, but I'm gradually purchasing episode groupings from iTunes for my collection - I've got all of the current episodes ("Season 1 - Season 4" + David Tennant Specials (ie: voyage of the ****ed, The Waters of Mars, etc.)) and am working on getting the old stuff now (I would have gotten the old stuff first, but my initial searches at iTunes didn't come up with much older material, only recently did I start seeing all of the episodes I didn't know were there)..

It'd be nice if BBCA would show some of the older episodes as well; I hadn't watched any of the older shows since I was a kid and it'd be a more convenient to be able to record them on my DVR then to stream (netflix)/download(itunes)/rent/buy(various) the episodes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I owe you again. I had never seen old doctor Who episodes on itunes. Went and searched, still nothing. Then I spelled out the word "doctor". Now I see them!

Kids won't be watching Super Why this week! My oldest (4) will be thrilled.:D

Thanks

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LoL - Yeah, that was one of the kickers I found too (spelling out Doctor) and also that the old stuff is referred to as "Doctor Who: The Classic Series" and the new stuff as just "Doctor Who"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just watched episodes 1 and 2 of season 5 last night and it was pretty good. I was surprised to see they changed the opening animation and music, but I guess now that Russell Davies is gone, they wanted to make a clean break with the new Doctor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Over here in the Uk I have seen the first 2 episodes with the new doctor.

Before it aired I was pretty anxious that an actor so young would never be able to live up to the doctor played by David Tennant.

I am happy to say he is very good - and is shaping up to be a really great Doctor

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Over here in the Uk I have seen the first 2 episodes with the new doctor.

Before it aired I was pretty anxious that an actor so young would never be able to live up to the doctor played by David Tennant.

I am happy to say he is very good - and is shaping up to be a really great Doctor

Yeah, I actually didn't like David Tennant as a Doctor when he first started, but grew to like him quite a bit. I guess it just takes time to wrap your brain around.

BTW, for anyone in the US that can't wait for BBC America or SyFy to pick it up, you can find the newest episodes shortly after they air on alt.binaries.teevee (and in HD too).

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you using as a news reader to pull down the shows - for that matter, what news server? Unfortunately, I know I can't afford giganews atm :(... I'd love to see the first 2...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you using as a news reader to pull down the shows - for that matter, what news server? Unfortunately, I know I can't afford giganews atm :(... I'd love to see the first 2...

I use Unison as the client and EasyNews for the server.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awe, looks like I can't afford them either :( oh well - no big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I downloaded 'The End of Time' last night from iTunes. I guess I'll have to do the same for the new season since I don't have a channel available. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
11th Doctor eh? I wonder what they'll do when he reaches his regeneration limit? I hope they locked the actor into a nice long contract.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is they'll write in a change - they already had from previous episodes (as noted here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(Doctor_Who) - see the In The Series part that talks about a few episodes where some have gone beyond the 13 limit, including the Master)

But also, even on BBC's faq for Doctor Who it seems that the limit may be circumvented now with the overall "destruction" (well, timelock) of his species - maybe they'll write it in as some sort of survival mode that knowing he's the last, his biology changes enough to allow for unlimited regens? (see the faq: BBC - Doctor Who - FAQ - Plot and Continuity )

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is that they'll do a reboot, much like Star Trek did with the latest movie to break the shackles of continuity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.