• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Place Your Bets: Apple-Intel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Rules are simple: Will Apple announce a switch to an Intel (or other non-PowerPC CPU) as the widespread reports indicate?

I'm deliberately not including an "Unsure" or "Maybe."

This is just for fun. I don't want to have another discussion of why this is good, bad, smart, insane, or preordained. That discussion is up at
http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=19726

Voting is anonymous, but comment if you want to go on record. No drawn-out discussions, please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I actually think they might do it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm going to go with the thought that they will use both Intel and IBM with their computers.

K

Kokopelli

I voted no, but I am far from sure. There are too many unknowns at this point and many of the "knowns" do not make sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac bondie blue 233mhz 320mb ram 2 meg vram 4gig HD and a Beige G3 A/V 266 OCed to 300mhz 64mb ram
i think these rumors are wrong and that intel will just be making ibms powerPC chip in there facilitys

im going for no

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I will say no. I believe that Apple know this change will destroy its user base.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
My vote was no, because there wasn't an option for my exact guess. I think it's possible (likely) that Apple will indeed switch to Intel as the chip supplier for new Macs, but that the chips will not be x86.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
i voted no

because i dont yet believe it and also if it is true , i dont want it to be true , i love the ppc on the mac , we'll see though , im hoping it's not true (fingers crossed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i voted yes, because it seems very plausible.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are there going to be clones now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish they would go more into that.. I don't see why Apple would allow that, so I am sure a lot more specs will come out soon. Maybe not at the keynote, but definitely on Apple's site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.