Battery life taking a hit

Reaction score
I've had my phone since end of November.
Seems like in the last week or so the battery is draining a lot faster than it has been to date. Maybe it's just me since I'm super paranoid that this thing will take a dump.
Is there a way to determine if the battery is in fact losing the ability to hold
a charge as long as it should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
I've had my phone since end of November.
Seems like in the last week or so the battery is draining a lot faster than it has been to date. Maybe it's just me since I'm super paranoid that this thing will take a dump.
Is there a way to determine if the battery is in fact losing the ability to hold
a charge as long as it should.

I have actually had this happen a couple of times over the past 9 months I have had my iphone 3GS. I tracked my usage and was gettting between 4 and half to 5 and half hours of usage time. It suddenly dropped to about 2 and half. Since your phone is relatively new and assuming there is no physical sign of battery damage "ie swollen or getting hot" it is more than likely a software issue. I backed up all my info and reset the iphone erasing everything from it, I then resynced it to my itunes and made sure to not "restore" using my previous settings/date "otherwise you will be right back where you started with bad battery life". This has fixed it both times and though it is a hassle it is faster than going down to the Apple store and getting a replacement when there is a good chance as soon as you sync your "new" phone it will inherit the bad battery life. Anyways, hope that helps.

OP
F
Reaction score
I haven't figured this out yet... how do you back up your phone... music and all. More often than not when I put music on my iphone/ipod from iTunes I delete all of the sons out of it. So if I am going to back it up I need it to move all of the music along with it. Is that even possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I find myself at least charging my battery twice a day due to the poor battery life. Sometimes when I am not checking my email, or online doing stuff, I turn off 3G. A lot of it I imagine is the 3G sucking down your battery.

OP
F
Reaction score
I synced and deleted a few of the more recent apps... It seemed to do the trick...

I turn off 3G. A lot of it I imagine is the 3G sucking down your battery.

Does it make that much of a difference? I shut mine off after reading this so I guess I'll find out.
How does it affect regular call quality? Or is 3G more for "other than talking" stuff?

With phone connected go here in iTunes and right click on phone;

What does that back up though? Settings? Profile type stuff like the address book, saved games, notes, etc?
It doesn't back up all of the music on the phone does it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I synced and deleted a few of the more recent apps... It seemed to do the trick...

Does it make that much of a difference? I shut mine off after reading this so I guess I'll find out.
How does it affect regular call quality? Or is 3G more for "other than talking" stuff?

Yes because 3G is always on, it requires more power from your battery to download stuff. When you disable 3G, it will automatically display "E", which is Edge, and the call quality is good. I've noticed my battery life extended by at least 2-3 hours. When you make a phone call I believe I read somewhere it actually uses 2G talktime. So your phone quality shouldn't be affected.

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes because 3G is always on, it requires more power from your battery to download stuff. When you disable 3G, it will automatically display "E", which is Edge, and the call quality is good. I've noticed my battery life extended by at least 2-3 hours. When you make a phone call I believe I read somewhere it actually uses 2G talktime. So your phone quality shouldn't be affected.

If I forget to switch back to 3G in the settings what then? Will it just connect to the web or whatever on the EDGE network? Does AT&T somehow slip in a charge for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I forget to switch back to 3G in the settings what then? Will it just connect to the web or whatever on the EDGE network? Does AT&T somehow slip in a charge for this?

No AT&T shouldn't charge you. Because if the iPhone can't connect to a 3G network, it automatically will connect to EDGE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.