• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS X lifespan?

I

iMe

Hey all
Sorry if this is a repost but, I was just wondering what is the predicted lifespan(years) for OS X. I know Windows Xp has been out for some time now, but does Apple OS have around the same lifespan as Windows OS. Also, do you think that there will be a 10.5, or will Apple move to OS 11.

P.S.- I read (sorry cant find it) that the only reason Apple released 10.4 and not 11.1 was because OS 11 will be a major change, and they didnt want Microsoft copying off them with the release of Longhorn. So instead they went with a mild change in Tiger. Is this true?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
iMe said:
So instead they went with a mild change in Tiger. Is this true?

Mild changes? Tiger already contains most of the things that Longhorn is planned to have and 10.5 will coincide with Longhorn (or maybe beat it by many months) and contain a lot of stuff that Longhorn users will only be able to dream about.

Personally I reckon Tiger is one of the largest changes I've ever seen in an OS update, bigger than the changes between 2000 and XP or 95 and 98, depending on how you look at it you could even argue that the change from 10.2 to 10.4 was greater by far than those between 98 and XP!

Amen-Moses

OP
I

iMe

Man that's short. By the time I get my ibook/powerbook, it may have leopard installed on it..lol. I'm just use to Windows, and Windows Xp has been out for awhile now.

-Thanx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.