VNC - remote desktop work in action on the ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
VNC - remote desktop work in action on the ipad
Big Blue :: iPad for a monoceros

This is a personal recount with nice pictures of the ipad in action doing VNC/SSH work for someone. And it seems access the windows desktop remotely this way really worked for him. The author of this blog/account was really happy with the ipad's ability to do this.

So anyone who needs to do this type of work on the run (and yes even I know a few people like this), you should look at the ipad. As if you only have basic tasks to do on a remote desktop the ipad could just be the ticket you need. Instead of a bulkier laotop.

Reaction score
running a virtual desktop on the iPad, to me, is a game changer. The iPad is nice toy for entertainment and checking email/surfing without the bother of a laptop, but to me it's a pretty expensive toy. Hard to justify that expense without some practical application - some "oomph."

Accessing a virtual desktop makes the iPad the ultimate thin client, and for business people on the road suddenly makes this a must have device. Instant on/off, ability to access all your company's programs, plus do all the "normal" iPad things. You still wouldn't really do any heavy lifting work (drafting long documents), but many folks don't do that on the road anyway. And, if you bring along your Apple wireless keyboard, you could pretty easily do the heavy lifting if you wanted to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am using the iPad/iPhone with LogMeIn Ignition and it is pretty dang sweet. Really looking forward to not having to break out the MBP just to click restart on my Windoze boxes.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am using the iPad/iPhone with LogMeIn Ignition and it is pretty dang sweet. Really looking forward to not having to break out the MBP just to click restart on my Windoze boxes.

Do you have multiple user accounts on your system? If so, how does Logmein handle the log in?
Do you have to leave your machine up and logged into the account you want to access remotely?

Reaction score
Based on the link above I picked up WinAdmin RDP and can't recommend it more. It's fantastic.

Reaction score
Wait a minute. Remote desktop work using the iPad as your interface/monitor?

Does this mean that any executable I want to run on the iPad, could instead be run on a windows machine that then sends the data to the iPad? Would this be a way to get around the lack of Flash?

If I could visit this website via my iPad, it would be pretty darn close to perfect. That's all I'd need to do to make the iPad from an amazing device to an absolute dream.

(Yes, I'm aware of the ability to buy Marvel comics. But with a 7th of the library at $2 per comic, I'd rather do without).

If anyone can suggest any ways to make my computer setup optimal (without buying a Mac) for using the iPad as a remote desktop, I'd be pretty open to them. Obviously I'd only consider this when on my local WiFi network to help cutdown on lag.

Based on the link above I picked up WinAdmin RDP and can't recommend it more. It's fantastic.
If anyone's interested in some testing for me, I'd absolutely love it if you could try to load up the comic on this page (its free) remotely on your iPad and posted a review.

Only 13 more days until I can get the iPad if I'm lucky :D

Reaction score
RDP on Ipad

With such a weak processor to run Windows applications, I wonder how viable this really is?

I'd love to be able to run my windows medical programs on an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
With such a weak processor to run Windows applications, I wonder how viable this really is?

I'd love to be able to run my windows medical programs on an iPad.

They are not talking about running these things on an iPad but using a remote desktop software to access another computer.

Clay

Reaction score
I ran the Wyse pocketcloud app on a 64m iPad over the last several days to access my firm's virtual desktop. Very good results. I could run all the Windows MS Office programs (outlook, word, excel, powerpoint, etc) without a hitch. Could not transfer data from the iPad OS to the VDI (for example, tried to get a screen shot [iPad OS info] to an Outlook message in the VDI and could not).

This is just using the iPad as the conduit to run a Windows desktop on a remote server. But it worked well, and turned the iPad into a useful business machine.

Reaction score
I thought about this exact thing too; using the iPad as a thin client.

I have been using Teamviewer for some time on my PCs and it works beautifully - you can fully control and even remotely reboot and log back into any computer. Its an amazing app!

Their iPhone app is awesome as well, and is supposed to be iPad compatible.

Could any iPad owners try out TeamViewer & let us know how well it works on the iPad?

I'm very likely to get an iPad, but am waiting for the 3G version. It would be perfect for days like today when I'm just so freakin' tired but still need to work - I would *love* to kick back on the couch with my iPad to do emails & internet stuff, maybe occasionally remote into a PC if I had to.....:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.