iPad for school - taking notes?

Reaction score
I am going to school for programming, and while I am not yet sure what they expect from our laptops in class, but I was wondering if I don't need a full windows OS to compile programs and whatnot or if I just need it to take notes and later do the actual brunt work on a workstation at school or at home if we choose.

So if I just need to take notes would an iPad +bluetooth keyboard be a good alternative?

Also I am pretty heavy in to media and plan on not getting the 3G version since I can just tether my iPhone to it or just check urgent stuff on my iPhone as I really don't see myself needing 3G on both devices. Do you think 32gigs is a good price point in terms of storage vs price? I will definitely be wanting at least 1 series (like say The Office, or The Wire) and some movies (probably no more than 5 or so) on it along with a good 5gigs of music + a lot of apps.

Will 32gig satisfy me do you think?

C

chas_m

32GB sounds like it will do you fine.

By using a BT keyboard I would say the iPad is ideal for taking notes. I would eventually expect an add-on (better) mic for taking audio notes as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ip...1-file-size-syncing-available-space-ipad.html

Read that topic, that'll really help you with file sizes and give you a good insight to what size of ipad if right for you.

And for note taking, Pages (for ipad) + the onscreen keyboard is nice. Try it instore to see if it works for you. But you also should take a look at the ipad keyboard+dock. With that your ipad is standing up so it's almost like a mini imac with keyboard and no mouse. That's another way to take notes with it. And I'm sure there is a lot of note taking apps out there for ipad too.

So if you can get yourself to an Apple Store to ask them all these questions you should get the information you need.

And bob if you're reading this, place sticky the topic I'm mentioning here. I'm sick of having to search for it always when I want to link it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just for you. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Also I am pretty heavy in to media and plan on not getting the 3G version since I can just tether my iPhone to it or just check urgent stuff on my iPhone as I really don't see myself needing 3G on both devices. ?

I do believe they said there would be NO iPhone tethering capabilities with the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
This guy I know, who broke out of jail, said he knew a way . . .

Yeah yeah yeah, I know that guy too. Just saying, Steve himself said no tethering, and it's probably against AT&Ts contract terms.

And since I have a 3g, that guy that broke out of jail ran so slowly that he ended up back in jail after just a few days. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.