eMacs?

JRV

Reaction score
I need to get my parents a new computer and I'm thinking of switching them to mac. They would only use it to check email and surf the web. Would an eMac be good for them? I'm thinking eMac instead of Mac Mini because the eMac comes with everything in one.

Reaction score
I'd go with an iMac over an eMac if space, heat and vision are issues. We have a PowerMac with a Dell LCD and the desk we use is nice and uncluttered with the LCD
display. We used to have a CRT and it would attract dust and generate a lot of heat.
It would also use up more power than the LCD.

I wore glasses for 10 years and stopped wearing them after switching to good LCD displays. I believe that the CRTs are not good for your vision over the long haul.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
buying them an iMac would be a waste of money.

O

october

I love my powerbook, but I will always keep a place im my heart for my eMac. Mostly my fiance uses it now, but I never had any problem with the display or heating up. It's heavy, and alittle bulky, but if you have the space..its wonderful.

B

Badger

For the money the eMac is the best value currently in the lineup. It performs well; not like the more expensive models but then it's not expensive. I've owned and used many Mac models over 15 years, my daily "user" is my eMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Badger said:
For the money the eMac is the best value currently in the lineup. It performs well; not like the more expensive models but then it's not expensive. I've owned and used many Mac models over 15 years, my daily "user" is my eMac.

I agree, the eMac is great. I've always wanted to get one, but I just don't have any place to put another computer. To answer JRV's original question, yes, an eMac would definitely be a good choice for your parents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
i have a eMac and i love it, just the right price.
I recommend a combo not a super, as they will never use, My dad uses very rarely,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I love my eMac, but I am starting to outgrow it. I am doing more and more music and when I start on my Digital Arts degree, it will just not be enough for me. I plan on giving it to my parents when I eventually get a G5 PowerMac. They curretnly use my old PowerBook G3, but want a full size computer. The eMac is a great option for your parents.
The only thing I would say is this:
If all they are doing is light web surfing and some email, why is their current computer unable to do this? You don't need a super powerful computer for this, and quite frankly if it ain't broke then don't fix it. :black:
I just hope you aren't planning on switching your parents to Mac because you want them to. Don't get me wrong, Macs are great systems...and while I am in no way accusing you of this, I think too many people try to "force" family members to switch from Windows when there really is no need for them to. :)
...ANYwho...back on topic, the eMac is a great option for what your parents would use it for. :black:

M

mangoSharingan

If they never used a computer before, then I would suggest an eMac but then it's a Mac forum here so we can all say that, lol. But if they are occasionally exposed to Windows PCs, then you may have to rethink that or they might become confused like asking questions ''I need to finish off some stuff from work, where's the Start button?''. Most people who get Macs are ones who already use PCs and want a change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
I bought my wife an emac for essentially the same things your parents want one for. It is a nice little system and is great for surfing the web, email, etc. I highly recommend it. My wife loves hers!

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
I love my eMac, but I am starting to outgrow it. I am doing more and more music and when I start on my Digital Arts degree, it will just not be enough for me. I plan on giving it to my parents when I eventually get a G5 PowerMac. They curretnly use my old PowerBook G3, but want a full size computer. The eMac is a great option for your parents.
The only thing I would say is this:
If all they are doing is light web surfing and some email, why is their current computer unable to do this? You don't need a super powerful computer for this, and quite frankly if it ain't broke then don't fix it. :black:
I just hope you aren't planning on switching your parents to Mac because you want them to. Don't get me wrong, Macs are great systems...and while I am in no way accusing you of this, I think too many people try to "force" family members to switch from Windows when there really is no need for them to. :)
...ANYwho...back on topic, the eMac is a great option for what your parents would use it for. :black:

Thats how old their current pc is. It struggles with surfing the web. Plus it has Windows ME installed and it crashes a lot. I was thinking about switching them to Mac because they wouldn't have to worry about keeping a virus protection program up to date. Which they don't know how to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Right on. I don't really have a problem with MS or Windows per se, but Win ME does suck. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
whats wrong wtih trying lindows or Xandros? Looks like windows, one of them has full win9x support, and no virus protection needed.

Reaction score
Definately. For the needs you stated that they would be doing, it's perfect. the eMac will do those tasks with ease and they will be much happier with a Mac as opposed to their PC which probably crashed everyday [having memories back from my PC days].

But yes, I think if that is all they will be doing, an iMac would be wasting your money. The eMac is great. Although if money was no issue at all the iMac is an awesome machine. :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.