• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Flash Player 10.1 release candidate...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Wasn't this supposed to perform better in OS X and try to woo apple into allowing flash on their devices? I mean, yea, thankfully when I'm in a different tab now, Flash isn't using 80% cpu... it drops to about 27-34%. But when it's on the screen... 86-90% cpu use...

Isn't that worse than the 70-85% cpu use that I saw from the codec before?

Wow. /facepalm

Adobe, you dropped the ball. Again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Adobe didn't drop the ball on this one. Adobe never had the ball to begin with. And they just kicked further into the flash graveyard with this release.
And with releases like this, they are doing what Steve wants. Creating a flashless world. Apple are lucky that they don't have to beat flash. Adobe will kill it themselves.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For sure. They kind of kicked themselves in the nuts this time, though. They claimed numerous times that this would improve performance on OS X. With video actually playing on the same page, it's actually worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use clicktoflash solved most of my problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, but flash ads do use less now, only about 15-25% cpu use when I'm on a page with flash ads. It's watching video I care about, like the Daily Show and Colbert report. :) Both of whom despite being Apple fanboys like myself, still have their websites using flash to stream the content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Yea, but flash ads do use less now, only about 15-25% cpu use when I'm on a page with flash ads. It's watching video I care about, like the Daily Show and Colbert report. :) Both of whom despite being Apple fanboys like myself, still have their websites using flash to stream the content.

You are right but for how long I noticed a lot of things changing fast no one
wants to be left out of the loop especially advertisers which pay for a lot of the media and with iPhone/iPad sales climbing it helps promote change at a faster
rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I haven't downloaded the new RC that was released a couple days ago but I have been running the other 10 beta and it is surprising better than what it used to be but I'm kind of nervous to update. I think I'll hold out for a while longer.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.