iWorks: How Does It Really Work?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

This is a question for those of you who have an iPad and put iWork applications on it.

From the videos, I couldn't really understand how to use it to export/important documents. I know that if you want to open a document and edit it on your iPad you can email to yourself from a computer. Or when you create one on your iPad you can email it, or send it to iWorks.com (which is what like another MobileMe?).

I went to BestBuy and AppleStore the same day to ask how to import documents into Pages or Numbers, etc. At BestBuy, they didn't really have a clue. At the Apple Store, they said one can use iDisk (the app) to open documents but I read somewhere else on this forum but iDisk doesn't work well for the iPad (as of right now) and that it is not possible to edit a document you download from iDisk with the iPad.

So, I would need your help on this since you guys have an iPad and might have downloaded iWork applications.

It is important to me since I would be using the iPad to take notes at my office, and since I am a writer as well, I really can't wait to be able to use iWorks to write stuff and send them to me or put it on MobileMe so that I can open them at a later date.

Thanks!

Vinny.

P.S. When you export a page document as a PDF (or .doc) on the iPad, where the heck does it go? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
I ran into this issue when I downloaded keynote at work. The best way (for large files) is to plug into your computer, go to the iPad in iTunes, go to Apps, scroll down and click on the iPad app you want to send the doc to. Then you browse for the file on your computer, click add, and sync.

On the iPad, you have to open the app, then click on the folder icon on the top right corner of the app (in keynote anyways).

Hope that helps.

OP
V
Reaction score
I ran into this issue when I downloaded keynote at work. The best way (for large files) is to plug into your computer, go to the iPad in iTunes, go to Apps, scroll down and click on the iPad app you want to send the doc to. Then you browse for the file on your computer, click add, and sync.

On the iPad, you have to open the app, then click on the folder icon on the top right corner of the app (in keynote anyways).

Hope that helps.

I was hoping to be able to do it easier :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds complicated but it really isn't

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's true, but given that we're at day 4 of a new product, I'm sure a new iDisk app will come soon. This works fine for me now, but iDisk support would be very welcome.

OP
V
Reaction score
That's true, but given that we're at day 4 of a new product, I'm sure a new iDisk app will come soon. This works fine for me now, but iDisk support would be very welcome.

I have no doubt they will release a new version of iDisk (at least I hope). If they do, that would just be awesome :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
How do you print? :Confused:

OP
V
Reaction score
How do you print? :Confused:

:Shouting:

Well, you don't!

Seriously tho, well could be nice to be able to sync the iPad to a printer by WiFi but then aren't we asking too much from that poor little iPad? It's not meant to do what a normal computer does...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who knows what's coming. The SDK outlined the ability for connecting to smb and afb shares, so printing to a shared printer should be possible. Let's see what OS4 has to offer on thursday.

OP
V
Reaction score
Who knows what's coming. The SDK outlined the ability for connecting to smb and afb shares, so printing to a shared printer should be possible. Let's see what OS4 has to offer on thursday.

I thought it was an OS4 for iPhone? Sorry if I sound lost lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone and iPad run on the same base OS. So if OS4 is coming to iPhone, it'll also come for the iPad (with enhancements of course).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So what is the point of using iWorks without being able to print your documents? You have to email them to yourself first? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being able to show keynote presentations on the iPad instead of lugging a laptop with you in a meeting is really awesome. I can see this being useful for numbers as well, I don't know about pages yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There is a rumour (posted in the ipad 4.0 rumours topic) that direct printing will come to the ipad in OS 4.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
:Shouting:

Well, you don't!

Seriously tho, well could be nice to be able to sync the iPad to a printer by WiFi but then aren't we asking too much from that poor little iPad? It's not meant to do what a normal computer does...

It would be awesome to do this. Then I wouldn't have to fire up the MBP to print something from my email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This might seem a little too obvious, but has anyone gone to the app store and searched for "Print"? I just did it and there are 25 results. 3 are free. Most hover around the $3-$5 range. And one is $9.99.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.