Macbook started breaking

Reaction score
Six month old Macbook standard model...
The plastic has developed a crack on the bottom and has started chipping from where I rest my hands.
I don't really use it roughly and most of the time it is lying on my desk.

Not complaining but a bit disappointed by the plastic body.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A six month old MacBook is still under warranty. I suggest you contact Apple or make an appointment with your local Apple store genius. Apple will replace any defective parts that have failed not due to your neglect.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I'm assuming you have a non-unibody Macbook? Those cracks are a fairly well-known design flaw, and I'm pretty sure it's not covered by Apple Care. They've acknowledged that it's a problem, and they fixed it with the unibody MB. The cracking is a result of fairly thin plastic that gets heated up and cooled off quite a bit through daily use. It is a bit disappointing, but there's not a whole ton you can do about it.

Reaction score
They'll fix it - a co-worker of mine had this happen to his MacBook in about 10 months time. They fixed it, no questions asked (whole new keyboard - the entire top replaced. I have had mine since Sept. and so far, so good. Just waiting for it to happen here! They had BETTER fix it - you don't pay $1,000 for something and have it fall apart in less than a year under "normal", non-abusive use. That's ridiculous - as a new switcher, I did a lot of research and asked a ton of questions before I made my purchase. A reasonable person wouldn't think to ask, "Will it fall apart under normal use?" as part of his/her routine decision-making process! Not even the cheapest Dell will do that!!

In any event, they'll make the attempt to fix it, and will replace the cracked pieces (at least in the Apple Store in CT they will.....).

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Huh... I went to the Apple Store in West Hartford (I'm assuming that's the CT one) and they wouldn't replace it for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.