• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone OS 4.0 soon ?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's news to me. I wasn't expecting this although it does make sense. We'll find out about new developments now for a release sometime in June or July to accompany a new iPhone. The pattern is a little too predictable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I can't wait! If there's multitasking, it'll feel a little bit like them saying, "Hey guys... MultiFinder in System 4!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
I'm quite interested to see what will come. I just want the Calendar and the Safari from the iPad on it :p. Could do with the OS in all being a bit quicker, but not a huge problem.

As far as multitasking goes; it's probably the most asked for thing for the iPhone/iPad now, but I don't know if they will do it for the sheer reason that it's not completely needed with the iPhone 3GS and iPad specs. It's just as quick to go onto the home screen and select another app than waiting for some other menu to show up to let you select your open apps, especially since a lot of apps DO actually run in the background, contrary to popular belief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I hope the new OS will load on a 3G. I still have almost a year left on my contract before I will think about a hardware upgrade...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
It will be interesting to see what is previewed here, as I'm guessing some features of a new OS could relate to any possible new hardware changes we might see in the new revisions of the iPhone that will most likely be making an appearance come summer, this said and knowing Apple, I would think they like to keep the lid tight on such things until announcement time.

I agree with the majority though in the fact that multi-tasking would be a nice addition!

Reaction score
I am sure multitasking is on its way against tough competition with Android... anyways, will wait and see... 3 more days to go...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
April 8th, which may be the 9th for you guys a day behind us!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I think this might just be the ipad getting CDMA or whatever Verizion needs for it's network. The days of AT&T exclusivity might be over. I dunno I'm just guessing here, I'm not 100% sure about the US market. That's if it's a new iphone and just not a new iphone OS.

Also it could be some features from the ipad OS going into the iphone OS. So you can use ipad apps at a pixel reduced version. Makes sense really. So developers can just make one version of an app. Full size for the ipad and shrunk for the iphone/touch. As long as the shrunk UI is still easy to use. Or it could be as the others have said more multi-tasking ability through the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Yay!!:D, I just went into AT&T today and of course they gave me the old "Well we don't know" because they still want to sell 3gS iphones. I was just getting ready to ask if anyone knew!! Great Info!!!!

It would be cool if they would do an actual live feed of some sort on apple's website, that would be neat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm not entirely surprised to see this event come at this time. Apple is seeing increased pressure from the competition (i.e. Android) and needed to reassure consumers that it's not just sitting around twiddling its thumbs. Hopefully this will keep people like me who were considering jumping ship to Android from leaving the iPhone.

Reaction score
Maybe tethering will be included :p

unfortunately that was included in 3.1 but it's AT&T that has failed to implement it. They promised 2009 and of course we all know that didn't happen.

I'm really hoping 4.0 release is for new hardware including a CDMA (Verizon) version. AT&T needs some iPhone competition so they actually try to help further the platform instead of hindering it (let's not forget how late they were in supporting MMS on the iPhone as well - long after Apple baked in support for it - which was admittedly also late in the industry)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I wouldn't expect to see a CDMA version. That would be an iPhone hardware change and wouldn't be software specific to the OS. I expect it will run on the 3G unless the "event" includes a peek at new hardware coming this summer....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
C

chas_m

Before everyone gets TOO excited, this is a developer preview of the 4.0 iPhone OS, **not** the release. In fact, they are probably doing this because the 4.0 iPhone OS isn't coming out for a while, rather than mid-summer as one might expect. If I were a betting man, I'd say they're pushing it back till fall.

I'll tell you this much for sure: doing a dev sneak preview means they are about to make some MAJOR change in the backend. How that will affect the users is not clear, of course. Maybe it's a heads-up on whatever solution they have to third-party multi-tasking (which will, of course, require a rewrite). Or maybe its something else entirely (that will require a rewrite). :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
doing a dev sneak preview means they are about to make some MAJOR change in the backend. How that will affect the users is not clear, of course. Maybe it's a heads-up on whatever solution they have to third-party multi-tasking (which will, of course, require a rewrite). Or maybe its something else entirely (that will require a rewrite). :)

Agreed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
CDMA may or may not be mentioned, but the big features of OS 4 won't be anything to do with this.

Here are my guesses/Wish lists:

- Multi-tasking for 3rd party apps (especially IM clients, media streaming like Pandora and Safari)
- Wireless syncing
- Fix syncing with multiple computers
- Use iDisk as genuine cloud disk, especially with iWok on iPad
- Official iTunes media streaming over WiFi (maybe even 3G)

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If OS 4.0 was to have multi-tasking I have a good idea I came up with of how it should be done.

You press the home button and a dock would pop up. With all of your open apps in it + the finder/home screen. And you just touch the app in the dock to go to it. Or tap the home button again to close the dock. And you tap and hold on the dock app for a second to have a contextual menu pop up with an option to quit the app.

You can not add apps to this dock like you can in OS X. The dock is simply there to display open apps/spaces and nothing else. It'd be a nice way to navigate between the spaces/apps. And the icons for the open apps in the dock would be the same ones used on the home page. So people would know what app they want just by looking at it. I'm not so sure about displaying the name of the app in this dock. You could display it there always or just have it show when you touch and hold on the icon in the dock for a few seconds. That would bring up the apps contextual menu with the name of the app as well.

And each app would be in it's own space. Like 3 apps open + the finder/home screen. That equals 4 spaces. And just like a Mac, the finder/home screen space is always open and can not be quit. And the ipad would be flexible of the number of spaces open. So the number of spaces open always equals the number of apps. One app per space. And would kill the particular space when the app in it is quit.

I'm sure the number of spaces/Apps open would be capped due to A4 only being 1Ghz and limited memory. But I'm sure you could get an easy 3-4 spaces open at once. If my 333mhz imac with 256MB memory can run 10.3 with all of it's multi-tasking glory, I'm sure the ipad could multi-task too.

My idea is just a nice way for the ipad's UI to handle the multi-tasking. And also it's nice so we users can understand it easily too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.