display & quicksilver issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Hello,

1. I use an external keyboard / mouse and external display.
But when i unplug the ac adaptor, the external display shows the computer going to sleep.
Does the external display work only when the computer is powered by the AC adaptor?

2. Quicksilver
If my files are located within subfolders, quicksilver fails to locate them.
Is there any way, i could actually make quicksilver "point" to certain files?
i think i'm still not using quicksilver to its fullest extent - can anybody guide if there are any posts or files dedicated to quicksilver?

Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Don't know about the first one, but I think I can help with the second question. (By the way, congrats on finding Quicksilver so early in your Mac life. It took me about 3 years to discover it).

If you go to Quicksilver, press Cmd+, to bring up Preferences, then click on the Catalog in the menu bar. Go down to Custom in the panel on the left, click the plus sign on the bottom and select the folder you want to be able to get into. Click on the little "i" on the right side which will bring up the info about it, and you can select how many levels down the indexing will go.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hello,

1. I use an external keyboard / mouse and external display.
But when i unplug the ac adaptor, the external display shows the computer going to sleep.
Does the external display work only when the computer is powered by the AC adaptor?
Nope. I have much the same setup (MB with mouse, keyboard and external monitor) and unplugging the AC does nothing to the monitor. I'm not sure what the issue is but it could be that the monitor is simply dimming but dimming all the way so that the screen appears black. Does the monitor turn off or actually go into sleep mode? How does your Mac respond (ie. does it still think there is a second monitor)?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
To Corbab : Thank you .. thanks a million ... u're a life saver.

To : Vansmith
1. It shows the message "monitor going to sleep"
2. when i move the mouse / press Esc, the monitor comes on momentarily - but again goes blank.
3. I dont know how to check how the Mac is responding.

Sorry - but 1 last question - i'm hoping i can get a reply to this.
Mac Mail
1. I have a fairly simple set up - i use smart folders for every contact with whom i communicate.
2. Once i'm done with an email, i have a shortcut to file it in an ACTUAL folder named 2010.
3. Problem is that i have more than 40 smart folders. So to access any particular smart folder, i need to manually go up to it. Is it possible to create something in Quicksilver so that i can jump to a smart folder when i'm in Mac Mail? Or perhaps something else -( i'm not at all familiar with Apple Script).
4. I prefer not to install Mail Act On - my setup is fairly simple and i'm quite happy with it.

Thank you again for the help - God bless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I'm not quite sure where Mail keeps the Smart Folders, but if you've got them set to send to a specific folder on your drive, you should know the file path. Once again, go to Catalog>Custom and add the folder where your smart folders are located. If you invoke Quicksilver, type in the folder name and make sure it's highlighted in the dropdown, press the right arrow key, then begin typing the name of the contact folder you want to open. If you hit return, it will open the smart folder. If you hit the right arrow key again, it will show you all of the files in the folder so you can take off yet another step.

Not entirely sure if this answers your question, so sorry if I'm totally not understanding you here.

Also, the Apple Blog has a great intro to Quicksilver. It was written in the days of Tiger, but most of the info is still useful.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Sorry for the late reply.

1. Quicksilver and Mail smart folders - tried - but could not locate the smart folders path.

2. Display - for the life of me, i'm still not able to understand why my monitor goes to sleep when i unplug the AC adaptor - can someone please help.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.