• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Done Deal - Apple converts to x86 Intel

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If this true, I believe Apple has hurt itself this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Great..... now we get to have over sized heatsyncs .... yay ...

im kind of dissapointed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Hardly a "done deal." No other outlet has picked up this story yet, and Apple spokespeople hasn't confirmed it yet, nor have Intel's.

No matter what happens, Monday will be an exciting day.

OP
F

falltime

Great..... now we get to have over sized heatsyncs .... yay ...

im kind of dissapointed

Oversized? Have you SEEN the size of the heatsinks in the Powermacs? What beasts.... not the mention the 2.5-2.7's require ADDITIONAL liquid cooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I agree with rman, i think apple will hurt itself if this is true. I think that apple should ride the back of the developement of the next generation consoles from micrsoft, sony and nintendo. If i understand it right the processors in those consoles are based on PPC and therefore could be used buy apple.

If Apple does go Intel i hope intel developes a PPC type processor and that x86 is not the type of processor apple will use.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I don't know if i should laugh or cry... my question is, if OSX can run in a Pentium how good/bad is it going to run? if they make it possible, does that mean you would be able to run OSX in a AMD-based? Will Intel make another kind of processor exclusive for Apple or Apple will surrender to Pentium? what is going to be the codename of OSx 10.5, will it play with previous cats?.....
I'm not concerned about the design of the future Apple computers, but about the value of previous models. In order to prevent the use huge heatsyncs in small models i suposse they will choose Pentium M or low end Pentium 4/Celeron....
There is just too much to say and think about this article, i want to believe the minds that have keept Apple alive all this time had thought a lot about this and decided in the best interest of the company, now we will have to see how it will affect the rest of us.

OP
F

falltime

Hardly a "done deal." No other outlet has picked up this story yet, and Apple spokespeople hasn't confirmed it yet, nor have Intel's.

No matter what happens, Monday will be an exciting day.

but I read it on the internet! it has to be the truth!

The article was e-mailed to the Apple employees right before I left work. There was also quite a bit of speculation about this announcement in the WSJ this morning, which is definitely a credible source.

Most of us knew of the upcoming announcment several days ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
prostuff1 said:
If Apple does go Intel i hope intel developes a PPC type processor and that x86 is not the type of processor apple will use.

I think this is the most plausible scenario, if such an announcement is indeed made on Monday. Everyone seems to automatically assume that Apple using chips manufactured by Intel means they'll be x86-based. Instead, I think that just as Motorola and IBM both manufactured PowerPC chips, a switch to Intel would simply mean PowerPC-based chips from a different manufacturer. To me, it simply wouldn't make sense for Apple to make a switch that would basically require the company to begin offering dual software releases to avoid leaving the millions of current users abandoned (think Apple IIGS...) and which would leave the already relatively small developer community displeased with the company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I have a feeling this is going to be another long thread.

Edit: I forgot. Ohhhh, nooooo Apple!

OP
K

Kokopelli

I find it plausible but I hope it is not true. I guess we'll wait and see. On a side note if Apple were to go x86 wouldn't AMD be the better choice? Apple's business would make a much bigger impact on AMD and currently AMD are mostly ahead in the performance game.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I was stated in another thread thats Apple could be planning to use Intels chip set in another application. Seeing a notice like this does not mean that Apple is scraping the G5 line.

OP
F

falltime

mraya said:
I don't know if i should laugh or cry... my question is, if OSX can run in a Pentium how good/bad is it going to run? if they make it possible, does that mean you would be able to run OSX in a AMD-based? Will Intel make another kind of processor exclusive for Apple or Apple will surrender to Pentium? what is going to be the codename of OSx 10.5, will it play with previous cats?.....
I'm not concerned about the design of the future Apple computers, but about the value of previous models. In order to prevent the use huge heatsyncs in small models i suposse they will choose Pentium M or low end Pentium 4/Celeron....
There is just too much to say and think about this article, i want to believe the minds that have keept Apple alive all this time had thought a lot about this and decided in the best interest of the company, now we will have to see how it will affect the rest of us.

Intel has already confirmed that it will be dropping its current Pentium 4/Netburst architecture for a much more efficient architecture very similar to that of the Pentium-M/Pentium 3. My guess is we'll see a 64-bit version of something like the Pentium-M, which should be pretty powerful. The P-M is already a very strong processor (it still maintains the lead in Protools LE, as is the preferred processor among several of the top freelance engineers and producers in LA).

OP
M

menace3054

if this is true, i am no longer going to be an apple consumer. As much as i love their computers, they are a little too pricey as it is. They finally got to a point where it isnt so hard to find cross platform software thats compatable, i dont know why they would go and ruin it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Yeah, I just bought a new G5 and I can't believe that it'd be an orphan computer within a couple of years. It just seems so blatantly STUPID of Apple to switch to x86 that I bet they have something else up their sleeve.

Reaction score
This is great news! Intel is not going to license IBM technology to make a PowerPC based processor. If Apple makes the switch to Intel, it's going to be x86. And Apple definetly isn't big enough for Intel to develop them a whole new processor.

I just want to be able to run OS X on the dual core Athlon 64 X2 I ordered a couple days ago ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.