OS 8 no cd-rom

C

ccellist

Hi everyone. I recently got a Powerbook 1400cs working again only to find the OS is missing. So I have to install an OS. I tried to do 7.5.2, and 7.5.3, but the stupid installer keeps telling me the script found an unrecognized mac and therefore needs to quit. I copied the System Folder over from an OS 8 System tools disk so I know os 8 will work on it. The problem: I don't have a CD-ROM drive. I will probably get one eventually, but not right away. I need to install OS8 but there are no floppies available on the CD and no way to make them. Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how did you get around it? Is there a way to get 7.5.3 to install without giving me that strange error message? Thanks.

OP
C

ccellist

Thanks for the reply. That would work great except you need Mac OS 8 already installed to use this *update*. I do not have OS 8 installed, hence my problem. :( Other thoughts?

OP
B

Badger

This model is listed as compatible with OS 7.5.5 (with the 1400 enabler) through 9.1 so that's why it won't take 7.5.3. I checked a couple of the resellers like Shreve Systems but none of them list OS 8 on floppies. You might try a local Mac club if there is one. Someone there might have an installer set or perhaps eBay or the buy/sell section here on Macforums. (Sorry about the 8.1 tip, I forgot that 8.0 was a commercial release and 8.1 was a free update.)

OP
C

ccellist

No problem, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can figure this one out. Will let you know how I fixed it if I end up fixing it. BTW, this feels like a stupid question, but what is an enabler? And is 7.5.5 available?

OP
B

Badger

The enabler was a system extension that identified the computer. Apple tried this to enable system installations that matched the hardware and the system. It was phased out when it proved to be more trouble than help. I couldn't find any source for 7.5.5 on floppies. You may have to get a CD drive before you can do the system.

OP
D

Dexter1912

if you have an original version of the 8 disk i could send you a copy of the floppy version

OP
C

ccellist

Dexter1912 said:
if you have an original version of the 8 disk i could send you a copy of the floppy version

I do!!! Do you need me to send you a pic of it or do you trust me? :) Please send it, that would be great! Need my e-mail address I assume? It's in my profile.

-Arturo

OP
D

Dexter1912

hmmmmmmm well you seem trustvworthy! give me a few days to sort some stuff out i need to find the disk i know roughly where it is and make a .dmg of it and hey presto

OP
C

ccellist

Hey, you rock. Thanks so much! This will save me a great deal of frustration.

OP
C

ccellist

BTW, is the .dmg going to be one really big one, or several floppy-sized ones?

-Arturo

OP
D

Dexter1912

its a single floppy i think iv "filed" it away some where in my room i will have it to you as soon as i can sorry bout the delay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'm curious as to how this turns out :alien:

OP
C

ccellist

No worries. I'll get it when I get it. Thanks again. I'm interested to see how this turns out too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.