Netflix on the iPad

Reaction score
Messed with it for a little while. Works really well. Fast and has a great picture. So far so good. Really a great implementation of their service. Was about to cancel Netflix because I didn't use it very much. Now that I have this I will be using it much more.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is definitely a killer app for the iPad..first amongst many I'm sure..

Regards

OP
V
Reaction score
I totally agree! Now that we know there is Netflix on the iPad, one more extra reason for me to buy one. I use Netflix a lot and will be nice to be able to watch movies on the go where there is a WiFi connection.

Silly question but I suppose that won't work with 3G lol....

Reaction score
Definitely gives me hope as to what this little machine is capable of, though I'm still not buying a 1st Gen model unless I find one SUPER cheap.. I'm content to wait for the 2nd Gen and see what added features pop up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
On my first two attempts at watching a Netflix movie, the whole system locked up and remained non-responsive within about 3-4 minutes of starting a movie. Had to power off both times.

Reaction score
Yeah, supposedly Netflix is still trying to optimize the streaming for the iPad... Not sure that would make it lock up though, but maybe it's being a resource hog at the moment?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I totally agree! Now that we know there is Netflix on the iPad, one more extra reason for me to buy one. I use Netflix a lot and will be nice to be able to watch movies on the go where there is a WiFi connection.

Silly question but I suppose that won't work with 3G lol....

Technically, both the Wifi and 3G get you to the Internet, should you should be able to stream Netflix either way..but I imagine that 3G will be definitely slower than Wifi for streaming..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
I saw the app, but until netflix offers to start streaming all the new releases, I'm not renewing my account with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
I saw the app, but until netflix offers to start streaming all the new releases, I'm not renewing my account with them.

I agree.

OP
V
Reaction score
Well I use it to watch TV Shows mainly. After a couple of weeks I watched all the good movies I could find. They don't have that many good or recent movies available...alas. But, still, you don't feel guilty to be watching a crappy movie since you don't pay that much lol

Reaction score

It's not up to Netflix, it's up to the movie studios. Netflix can't do anything about that except try to make a deal with them, which won't happen...

The movie studios are suffering from lack of sales on dvds/blu-rays, so much so that Netflix isn't even getting some new release movies on DISC format until a month after it's initial release.. I know "The Blind side", "The Box" and a few others had a month wait before you could get them through Netflix..

All in all, it'll be a loooong time before you're able to instantly stream most new releases.. I think the streaming library is actually pretty good. It's meant to compliment your mail-ins and not to be used as the main product.

I like the fact that I can watch just about all the TV Shows I'm interested in, plus some decent movies from the instant streaming feature. I know "Angels and Demons" is now available on instant stream as well as some other semi-decent movies.. It's a good thing to have in between mailing dates.

OP
V
Reaction score
It's not up to Netflix, it's up to the movie studios. Netflix can't do anything about that except try to make a deal with them, which won't happen...

The movie studios are suffering from lack of sales on dvds/blu-rays, so much so that Netflix isn't even getting some new release movies on DISC format until a month after it's initial release.. I know "The Blind side", "The Box" and a few others had a month wait before you could get them through Netflix..

All in all, it'll be a loooong time before you're able to instantly stream most new releases.. I think the streaming library is actually pretty good. It's meant to compliment your mail-ins and not to be used as the main product.

I like the fact that I can watch just about all the TV Shows I'm interested in, plus some decent movies from the instant streaming feature. I know "Angels and Demons" is now available on instant stream as well as some other semi-decent movies.. It's a good thing to have in between mailing dates.

I completely agree, and I personally find many good things to watch instantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I think just having Netflix on the iPad is enough for me to buy one. I watch lots of movies. . . :)

Reaction score
the movie studios are going to do what the music studios did -- hang on to their old business model until **** freezes over. We've been talking about "on demand" video for 20 years in this country, and we're only a smidgen closer now than 20 years ago, even though the technology has been here for a while.

Reaction score
Exactly. The movie studios are to blame on this one, not Netflix.

Heck, even the of "VOD" from Cable doesn't have most new releases right off the bat, and you actually have to pay $4-$7 if you order one of those (price varying for SD or HD quality)

It's kind of ridiculous imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm definitely getting back into netflix, especially with the ipad, because I had a good experience when I first had it, but I wondering if you guys know if you need to have xbox live gold to use it on the 360. I realize this is on the wrong thread, but I don't think it's worth opening up a new one just for that when we are all talking about netflix on the ipad.

As for the dvds being released onto netflix later than before, I think dvd's, or physical disks to play movies are going to be a thing of the past soon. It's perfectly normal for the dvd market loses some of it's market when there are easier and cheaper alternatives like netflix. I personally only buy dvd's when they are older or used so that I can keep a collection…but at the point when I buy them, they have dropped in price from 15 mucks to only 4-6 bucks! Get what I mean? Times are changing for the dvd movie market imo.

Reaction score
I'm definitely getting back into netflix, especially with the ipad, because I had a good experience when I first had it, but I wondering if you guys know if you need to have xbox live gold to use it on the 360. I realize this is on the wrong thread, but I don't think it's worth opening up a new one just for that when we are all talking about netflix on the ipad.

As for the dvds being released onto netflix later than before, I think dvd's, or physical disks to play movies are going to be a thing of the past soon. It's perfectly normal for the dvd market loses some of it's market when there are easier and cheaper alternatives like netflix. I personally only buy dvd's when they are older or used so that I can keep a collection…but at the point when I buy them, they have dropped in price from 15 mucks to only 4-6 bucks! Get what I mean? Times are changing for the dvd movie market imo.

Yes, you need a Gold account, at least you did, so it should still be that way.

I use Netflix on my PS3 for free though, no extra charges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 White MacBook 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Snow Leopard V10.6.1; iPad 16g WiFi
Yes, you need a Gold account, at least you did, so it should still be that way.

I use Netflix on my PS3 for free though, no extra charges.

Yeah, Gold Acct for 360, free for PS3 and it was just announced that it is free for the Wii as well. (with Netflix membership of course)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.