PDA

View Full Version : iPad screen care?

alicefred
04-03-2010, 05:48 AM
I need your assistance to find out the best quality iPad screen care kit. I searched a lot, but didn't find much info on it, even in Apple store. Only found one kit till now. I want an invisible shield that can prevent scratches, fingerprints and other touch screen problems. I have noticed most of the guys recommend microfiber cloth to wipe off the screen.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.

Nighthawk4
04-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I am sure they will be available soon.

Most of the phones with touchscreens have them. Not looking forward to trying to apply a sticky screen protector to something the size of an iPad though - judging from my success on various Palm devices. Lots of bubbles and creases. :(

chas_m
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Invisible Shield will be out with the product you desire in no time at all -- I'd be shocked if it wasn't out already.

Oh look, surprise surprise:
ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Apple iPad Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-ipad-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php)

VinnyRocks
04-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I just got my iPad and went to the Ghost Armor stand at the mall and had the guy put it on. I went to lunch and came back and it was done. I think it looks pretty sharp. I had my iTouch done after Christmas and it still looks good.

DigitalKnight
04-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Do you think that they are really neccesary? I put one on my first Windows Mobile phone. It was more of a pain than anything. I stopped using them 3 phones ago. Either the screen gets prints on it or the protector does. What is the differnce?

It is just a glass screen. I use Lens Cleaner that is used on glasses you wear and a lint free cloth at the end of the day and it looks like new.

farmdreads
04-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I used to use the Invisible Shield on my iPhone but when I got the glass replaced, I could never go back to a screen protector. The glass is just to **** smooth and sexy. Same goes for my new iPad. Although I am sure noticing that fingerprints are sticking out like a sore thumb! Ha Ha! Get it? Fingerprints, sore thumb? Oh man. I crack myself up.

chas_m
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
I laughed! :)

eyePawd
04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
my friend has pad and it is filled with fingerprints and smudges. i really worry about scratches though.

ezcompane
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
No scratches yet but way too many finger prints to count.

charlesfmason
04-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Water on a soft cotton cloth is all you need.

corrado007
04-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. My wife just got an iPad yesterday so we are looking for a bit of advice on an accessory.

Does anyone know of any decent anti-glare screen protector films for the iPad? My wife and I use them on our iPhones and they are awesome. I wouldn't be without one because the fingerprints drive me crazy. I checked Amazon and ebay but no one has rated them yet and ebay tends to sell a lot of low quality stuff.
Thanks

the8thark
04-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Well according to the videos I've seen scratching the screen with a metal nail and leaves no scratch marks. But the back side is really easy to be scratched or scuffed.

allan_vancouver
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Water on a soft cotton cloth is all you need.

Careful with the water, or other cleaners. I bought a package of micro-fibre cloths and they clean the screen very well dry. I also bought a small aerosol sprayer of alcohol, but found elswhere online that any cleaner may cause problems.

I have a Zagg protector on order -- maybe it wil reduce finger prints as well.

flcruzr
04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I had the Zagg Invisible Shield put on and it protects the screen very well. I do miss the smooth feel of the screen but I wanted to protect my screen.

twodarhythm
04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
i ordered a ($25) anti glare screen protector. i saw cheaper ones but was afraid they wouldnt last. I cant stand not using a screen protector on my iphone because it gets so oily and my finger gets stuck on it. I just dont know how im going to get the screen protector on such a large device.

titlering
04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I just checked the Dealaire.com Deal of the Day (I always check it and Woot.com) and its a iPad Screen Protector for only $6.99 shipped. Not sure of the quality, but at least it's cheap.
http://www.dealaire.com

Tactical Apple
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
These are great:
SGP Steinheil AF Protector for Apple iPad - eBay (item 370362600330 end time May-08-10 22:38:39 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370362600330&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Anti Finger Print and anti Glare together. I have it for my iPhone and been using it for months.

bobtomay
04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Received the Radtech ClearCal film for my iPad today - link (http://www.radtech.us/Products/clearcal-ipad-display-film.aspx).

Those that know me, already know I went with the anti-glare film. It's also oil resistant. It's been in use now for a couple of hours. Still no finger prints - hallelujah. No more need to clean it off after a half hour browsing the forum.

Took it outside in the sun for a quick test also. There's no help when the sun is shining directly on any display. But, with the sun at the back of the device, wearing a white shirt, my mirror image is practically gone and is now readable.

Sitting in the shade, you won't even notice it's on there. Except for the lack of any glare.

I can recommend it.

BadApple
04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Careful with the water, or other cleaners. I bought a package of micro-fibre cloths and they clean the screen very well dry. I also bought a small aerosol sprayer of alcohol, but found elswhere online that any cleaner may cause problems.

I have a Zagg protector on order -- maybe it wil reduce finger prints as well.
Zagg is too sticky for me pulled it off the same day.

Tactical Apple
04-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Received the Radtech ClearCal film for my iPad today - link (http://www.radtech.us/Products/clearcal-ipad-display-film.aspx).

Those that know me, already know I went with the anti-glare film. It's also oil resistant. It's been in use now for a couple of hours. Still no finger prints - hallelujah. No more need to clean it off after a half hour browsing the forum.

Took it outside in the sun for a quick test also. There's no help when the sun is shining directly on any display. But, with the sun at the back of the device, wearing a white shirt, my mirror image is practically gone and is now readable.

Sitting in the shade, you won't even notice it's on there. Except for the lack of any glare.

I can recommend it.
Thanks for that. Will look into it for sure.

Do you think you can post pictures of it?

ben12345
04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Was it very difficult to apply? Also any bubbles?

I can recommend it.

iggibar
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
ZAGG…I used to make their stoneshield(invisi-shield) material that they used on iphones and such…still got 12''x700+ft at home :). Did you know that this material was first designed to protect helicopter blades from dust and sand!? It's some tough stuff. I use it on the back of my ipad, and bought a cheap $2 screen from ebay, but that turned out to be crap and was impossible to get without bubbles. I'm going to be cutting my own when I get the time. If you have the means, go for the ZAGG, or other similar companies, but know that zagg only gets "AAA" grade material, while everything else below "AA" get's shipped to the other companies.

Tactical Apple
04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
ZAGG…I used to make their stoneshield(invisi-shield) material that they used on iphones and such…still got 12''x700+ft at home :). Did you know that this material was first designed to protect helicopter blades from dust and sand!? It's some tough stuff. I use it on the back of my ipad, and bought a cheap $2 screen from ebay, but that turned out to be crap and was impossible to get without bubbles. I'm going to be cutting my own when I get the time. If you have the means, go for the ZAGG, or other similar companies, but know that zagg only gets "AAA" grade material, while everything else below "AA" get's shipped to the other companies.
Zagg i will admit is good with stratches. When i got my first iPod Touch last year i got Zagg and i had it on untill the day i sold it to a friend (about 5 months later) and i peeled it off and there was really hardly any stratches, while there was on the screen sheild.

However, the thing is VERY messy. As in, the corners get dirty, they start to peel off in the corner by a centimeter, This is a problem if your gonna put your iPad in cases or in a bag.

Each time you slide it in the corners start to come off in time.
Another problem? Installation is atually not hard to get on, HOWEVER, it is hard to get it on perfect. 3/4 the times you will get this weird look on certain places, even after waiting about 3 days for it to dry you have it.

What would i recommand for a back cover?
SGP Premium Protective Cover Skin for Apple iPad [Deepblack] (http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1324)

I got one in the mail today and it looks amazing, No bubbles whats so ever. (Dont even think its possible to get a bubble)

iggibar
04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Zagg i will admit is good with stratches. When i got my first iPod Touch last year i got Zagg and i had it on untill the day i sold it to a friend (about 5 months later) and i peeled it off and there was really hardly any stratches, while there was on the screen sheild.

However, the thing is VERY messy. As in, the corners get dirty, they start to peel off in the corner by a centimeter, This is a problem if your gonna put your iPad in cases or in a bag.

Each time you slide it in the corners start to come off in time.
Another problem? Installation is atually not hard to get on, HOWEVER, it is hard to get it on perfect. 3/4 the times you will get this weird look on certain places, even after waiting about 3 days for it to dry you have it.

What would i recommand for a back cover?
SGP Premium Protective Cover Skin for Apple iPad [Deepblack] (http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1324)

I got one in the mail today and it looks amazing, No bubbles whats so ever. (Dont even think its possible to get a bubble)

Did you see the carbon fiber leather rear cover they also make for the ipad? It looks nice.

Tactical Apple
04-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Did you see the carbon fiber leather rear cover they also make for the ipad? It looks nice.
Yup :D I bought the deep black leather looking one, its sitting on the corner of my desk as we speak waiting for me to pick up my iPad this weekend.

Its VERY nice, it feels just like leather. Im thinking of buying the Carbon, and the White Leather Back Cover in the future.

titlering
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
My local apple store had something in stock today, which was not the case two weeks ago, so that's another option.

mexipat
05-01-2010, 08:09 AM
My first instinct was to buy a screen protector but now I'm not sure. It seems to me more important for an Iphone/Touch as they are sometimes in your pocket with keys, change, etc. If the Ipad is kept in a case except when in use, it shouldn't (in theory) need protection.

the8thark
05-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Was it very difficult to apply? Also any bubbles?

I second this question. Bob this is directed at you pelase :).
Cause if it's easy to apply it I just might get one.