Weird connection issue

Reaction score
So whenever I first start up Safari my internet works lightning fast as long as I use it constantly. But as soon as I don't do any activity for like 30 seconds(like reading a blog or something) and try to go to a new page my internet address bar will just say "loading" forever and won't let me access web pages or do anything anymore. If I exit Safari and reopen again it's still the same problem but if I restart my MBP I can get on the internet normal again but the same problem will arise if I wait 30 seconds.

I have had my MBP for 2 months and have not had this issue until now. I have contacted my internet service provider and determined it's not them. I also thought it might be my wireless router (brand new Netgear rangemax g) so I took it in to where i bought it. They tested it for 3 days and found nothing wrong but replaced it for a brand new one anyways just in case. The router is 15 ft from my MBP btw and there are no other devices anywhere to interfere with the signal. My MBP is BRAND NEW 2.66 4MB 320.

Could it be the internal wireless device in my MBP? I also downloaded firefox and tried that to see if was just Safari but nope, same problem :Grimmace:

Can anyone help me?? I don't know what else to do??

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok Update. I connected my MBP directly to my NG rangemax with a ethernet wire and the problem seems to have gone away. This is the second brand new netgear wireless router as mentioned. Any thoughts on why just the wireless would have this weird issue? Could it be the wireless device in my MBP failing now after 2 months?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What happens if you turn Airport Off/turn Airport On without closing Safari?

Your symptoms are not indicative of hardware failure as the device works if used constantly. It could be something like radio interference. How many other networks are visible?

OP
T
Reaction score
What happens if you turn Airport Off/turn Airport On without closing Safari?

Your symptoms are not indicative of hardware failure as the device works if used constantly. It could be something like radio interference. How many other networks are visible?

There a 8 or 9 other networks visible. I will try that. I also have found that, when it gets stuck on loading, if I re-connect manually to my network through system preferences it will get me up and running again... until the next time I go 30 seconds to a minute of no activity...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may be the other computer has a better antenna or radio design so he stays connected better. You could try changing the channel that your router is on. Most people don't mess with it so almost everyone uses channel 6 which is the default. Try setting your wifi router to channel 1 or 11 and see if it helps.
Details:
Wi-Fi Channels - Change the WiFi Channel Number to Avoid Interference

OP
T
Reaction score
Do you mean the other computers my nieghbors have on their own wireless networks? Because my MBP is the only one on my wireless network in my house and I obviously have a password locking others out...

OP
T
Reaction score
IvanLasston: To answer your airport off/on question ... YES!!!

When it gets stuck on loading and I go into network settings and turn airport off, then back on ,(without exiting safari) my internet works right away again! What exactly does this mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think of it like radio stations. Everyone is transmitting on the same channel. If you are far enough apart it doesn't matter. Once you get close - you start interfering with each other. So even though no one is on your network, those 9 other networks could be interfering with you. So change your channel to 1 or 11 and see if it helps.

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for turning off/on the airport. I can see multiple networks near me as well and my macbook air does have the same problem. My macbookpro - not as much. By the way you can add the wifi to your menu bar so it is easier to turn on an off - if you don't have that setup already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.