Remote disk-mac2008 help please!!

Reaction score
I'm on my MacBook and I'm trying to install office 2008 on my other macbook air through remote disk, when i double the icon, it displays a message "Original item for microsoft 2008 cannot be found".. please help me

thanks in advanced!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, make sure you have correctly setup "remote disk" on your host computer: LINK

After that, it should just be a matter of inserting your Office 2008 CD in your host MacBook, selecting it from the Finder on the Air, double click the install on the Office CD, and you should be good to go. If you've done everything correctly and still no joy, you could always copy the contents of the Office 2008 CD to a flash drive and install it on your Air that way.

The Air is nice machine and very handy for travel, but without the external optical drive that's sold for it, it's really an inconvenience trying to install software.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply, I already did all those steps, but it still says that error"Original item cannot be found",

is there any other way? I tried to google this online, and it seems some guy made like 3 threads on other sites, but no one replied.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No sorry, none that I know of. The MS installer is probably looking for its CD on the Air rather than the host machine. I'm not sure there is a work around, however, the MS MVPs that hang out in the Microsoft Mac forum are real sharp and may know of a way. Here's the LINK to the user forums for MS Office 2008.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
No sorry, none that I know of. The MS installer is probably looking for its CD on the Air rather than the host machine. I'm not sure there is a work around, however, the MS MVPs that hang out in the Microsoft Mac forum are real sharp and may know of a way. Here's the LINK to the user forums for MS Office 2008.

Let us know.

Regards.

My friend just told me that the macbook air after 2010, the dvd sharing doesn't work, so I guess we just have to buy a super-drive

but thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.