Really dumb iPhoto question..

Reaction score
hi guys, this is probably a really dumb question, but how do you move a photo in iphoto from one event to another? i find the file management to be extremely clumsy and cluttered..I'm sure there has to be a way of doing this reasonably easily?

thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Right click on the Photo you want to move then click on Cut. Open the event you want to move the photo to and right click on a blank area and paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 27" IPhone 4 IPad 2
When you bring up events you can drag and drop the entire event and merge them. You can also open the event you want the photos in then close it. Open the photos and drag them to the left where it say recent and drop them in the event.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
there is no way to drag and drop ? :-(

Yes, but that will create a duplicate then you will have one in the event you have dragged it from and one in the event you have just dragged it to. If you want to totally remove it from one event you will have to cut and paste.

OP
B
Reaction score
When you bring up events you can drag and drop the entire event and merge them. You can also open the event you want the photos in then close it. Open the photos and drag them to the left where it say recent and drop them in the event.

sounds perfectly logical but impossible on my mac, as soon as you open an event, all you see are photos within that event, there is absolutely nowhere to drag a photo to except to the desk top IF you re-size your iphoto window.

I get the feeling iPhoto is cute and all but utterly functionless, this is the one thing I really miss about windows is how easy it was to switch/transfer photos and files from one folder to another with no hassle at all :-(

C

chas_m

The root problem here is that the OP doesn't have a good concept of what "events" are.

Events are just a group of photos sorted by the time in which they were taken. This is why it's not simple to move a photo from one event to another, because the photo BELONGS in the Event its already in.

That said, the very simple cut/paste method mentioned (which is EXACTLY how Windows does it, btw) will work fine. If you want an easier method, switch to the "photos" view rather than "Events" view.

OP
B
Reaction score
The root problem here is that the OP doesn't have a good concept of what "events" are.

Events are just a group of photos sorted by the time in which they were taken. This is why it's not simple to move a photo from one event to another, because the photo BELONGS in the Event its already in.

That said, the very simple cut/paste method mentioned (which is EXACTLY how Windows does it, btw) will work fine. If you want an easier method, switch to the "photos" view rather than "Events" view.

ok, im thinking that this is definatley pilot error on my part because something so basic shouldn't be so difficult to work out. I have opened iPhoto and tried the photo, it is literally impossible to drag and drop photos this way because some events are way at the bottom of the scroll bar and almost impossible to navigate to whilst dragging.

Actually, on windows explorer you don't need to cut and paste ( though you CAN if you want to..bit like saying you CAN pull out the plug if you want to turn your computer off) .

In windows explorer you simply drag and drop to your desired folder. simple. easy.. All I want to do is move a photo from one folder to another in iPhoto..surely It's ME that decides what photos belong in what event and not my computer?

And surely it's ok to change your mind if you decide a photo shouldn't be in the event you first put it in and change your mind?! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.