Imac Screen Capture Quality Poor

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to capture part of a screen so that I can use Photoshop Elements to do a couple of changes and then forward to a customer. Problem is the quality of the screen shot is very poor.

I am using Cmd-shift-4. I have tried both Safari and Firefox with the same very poor results. By the time the picture is sent by email as a JPG its awful.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
Mike

C

chas_m

Not sure what the problem is. All mine look fine. Perhaps the problem is that you're "blowing it up" (enlarging) too much.

The Mac screen is only 72 dpi, and so using a portion of that is going to be very low-res indeed. If you try to enlarge it that's just going to look awful.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or another way to put it - let's use the 27" at a 2560 x 1440 resolution.

If you take a screen shot from only a 10th of the screen area, you have captured an image composed of 256 x 144 pixels. You then want to blow that back up to a full 2560 x 1440 pixels - it's going to look really bad.

edit:
Something you could experiment with, haven't done this myself so just a thought - use the magnification feature to magnify the screen up to the size you are wanting for the specific area prior to the screen capture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.