rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thanks, will have to take a look.

B

Brigrat

What does it all mean? I read it, but now I am drooling, and mumbling nonsense to myself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
It's an article only recommended to peope knowing about the internas of CPUs...which means it's only for experts. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Just one thing about this article...
I think its a fallacy how quick everybody is to write off macs as far as gaming is concerned. Mostly all you need for games is a mid to upper level gfx card and that's it. Plus, there are plenty of good games ported to mac. The main reason I didn't switch before now is that macs were getting a bad rap from gamers. So call me behind the times, (or maybe I'm just not that hardcore of a gamer) but based on what I've seen (and on what I have), the Power Mac is a good platform for games, even with an entry level graphics card like the Radeon 9650.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
Brigrat said:
What does it all mean? I read it, but now I am drooling, and mumbling nonsense to myself!

since I am not a techie, that article's specifics didn't make much sense to me either.................('monolithic OS'? :dummy: )

i finally skipped to the conclusion that as workstations, macs rock; but as servers, they definitely do not rock.

since I don't use mine as a server, I'm pretty good to go!

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
sevenhelmet said:
Just one thing about this article...
I think its a fallacy how quick everybody is to write off macs as far as gaming is concerned. Mostly all you need for games is a mid to upper level gfx card and that's it. Plus, there are plenty of good games ported to mac. The main reason I didn't switch before now is that macs were getting a bad rap from gamers. So call me behind the times, (or maybe I'm just not that hardcore of a gamer) but based on what I've seen (and on what I have), the Power Mac is a good platform for games, even with an entry level graphics card like the Radeon 9650.
The reason I find gaming to be better on a PC is not the performance. The PowerMac has plenty of performance for games. It's lack of support that's the problem. Most major titles are released on the Mac, but it can be a pain to get expansions, and 3rd party utilities that really make gaming what it is.

The Anandtech review was a bit wordy. Basicaly it just compared the true processor performance of dual G5's vs dual Xeons vs dual Opterons. Like many Mac Addicts will argue, their PowerMac can go head to head with any Intel PC. This turns out to be true. The True performance leader was AMD's Opteron. Even with the numbers it churned out, they were not using the fastest opertons available to date. They used dual Opteron 250's instead of 252's.

B

BEEEsH

When all is said and done
At the end of the day
When the sun goes down . . .

They don't have widgets.

hehehe

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM, Intel and Apple declined to comment for this story.
Apple has not confirmed it as of yet. So it looks like it is still a rumor.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
rman said:
Apple has not confirmed it as of yet. So it looks like it is still a rumor.
LOL...your still holding out for hope! They only declined because they are busy writing up official press releases now that the story broke :)

Can't believe they are using Intel when AMD is the obvious leader in x86 technology right now.

There is no way they can limit OS X to specific x86 hardware...that'll be cracked in no time.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the story broke, then why is cnet the only site with the story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
The story ain't "broke." Monday is still two days away, and I still bet it's just for a new version of the iPod or something...

Reaction score
The article means that the Opteron beats G5 and Xeon. Not only that but they only used the 2.4 Ghz Opteron and not the faster 2.6 Ghz Opteron. Not only that but they didn't use the dual-core Opterons that have been selling for a month.

Apple should be talking to AMD for their desktop chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
good article.

anandtech is increasingly releasing good reports and articles. nice find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.