Uninstalling programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad
Hi all. I downloaded Firefox a few weeks ago and do not use it. I prefer Safari and would like to uninstall Firefox. So, my question is, does dragging it to the trash uninstall it, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

Aaron

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nevermind

Sorry. I just read another thread answering my question.

Aaron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You will prberly get a few come in and say you dont need a App like Appcleaner or AppTrap BC when you drag something to the trash. There are a few little files that will be left behind, and if your anal retentive you want to clean them out. I say to them over time, like years with all the Apps we install and then get rid of those little files start to build up.
But to andswer you question, yes you can just drag it to the trash.
You will be left with those little files, but if you want to have to whole kit and kerbuddle gone i suggest you use a App like i linked to.
On trashing or uninstalling, if ANY App has a uninstaller .pkg it is recommended to use that in stead of something like Appcleaner or Apptrap. I personally have AppTrap installed and it sits in the Preferences, its out of site and unobtrusive, and the way it works is when you drag said App to the trash it will then ask if you want to move any associated files/folders as well ...

Its as easy as that :)

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
whole kit and kerbuddle

Mate, the OP is from Wisconsin. Ya gotta speak English! ;)

Up here, that's "kit and caboodle" (or kaboodle). That's according to Dictionary (English version). :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate, the OP is from Wisconsin. Ya gotta speak English! ;)

Up here, that's "kit and caboodle" (or kaboodle). That's according to Dictionary (English version). :)

Funny ;)

Caboodle didnt show up in my spell check though lol But duly noted :D

Reaction score
OP there are lot of threads for the same, but anyways that is the reason this sub forum is called "Switcher Hangout"
Just download "AppCleaner" - it is free and will do the job...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Or you can try the better (in my opinion) "AppZapper".
Both do roughly the same job mind you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I'd be a little wary of switching from Firefox right now. After the latest update, curious things have been happening on some sites with Safari. For example, I have a photoblog (tomwilson | photoblog » L’art trouvé - III) and since the upgrade, although the login takes place when I launch the blog, as soon as I begin to look at comments, or bring other people's blogs up on a new tabs, I lose my login. Then, when I try to login, nothing happens. It appears not to be a site problem, because the site owners have had similar problems with Chrome (which uses the same engine as Safari) and, as it just started to happen after the last upgrade I suspect that the villain is Safari. Something is broken and I haven't seen anything about it being fixed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone. I already trashed it before I read any responses. Is it too late to use one of the aforementioned apps to remove any little bits left behind? To remove the whole kit and kerbuddle so to say?:D

Aaron

Reaction score
I downloaded appcleaner and it installed an app on my desktop. I prefer to keep my desktop clean. Is there a way to get rid of the icon and also use the appcleaner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice everyone. I already trashed it before I read any responses. Is it too late to use one of the aforementioned apps to remove any little bits left behind? To remove the whole kit and kerbuddle so to say?:D

Aaron

You could go reinstall FF then trash it with one of the Apps suggested .... Or if you want those little files, type FireFox into Spotlight or Quicksilver and see what it brings up .....

I downloaded appcleaner and it installed an app on my desktop. I prefer to keep my desktop clean. Is there a way to get rid of the icon and also use the appcleaner?

Are you sure it was INSTALLED on your desktop ?? Usually when you dl a App and run the .dmg you are usually asked to drag it to the Applications folder for it to be installed. If it is infact the App icon and not the installer icon you can either drag it into your Applications folder or onto the Dock ?? The choice is yours :)

TM

Reaction score
check the application folder, if you see appcleaner in there you can eject the desktop file. It is probably the install file... if not open the install file and drag the app to the application folder...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.