need help formattin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white mac os 10.6.3
new to macbook and I'm running a 10.6.1
what im tryna do now is transfer data (mp3 files) from my PC to my macbook.
just bought a WD passport 320gb.
i plugged it in the mac and it formatted the hard drive automatically.
so my question is how would i got about reformatting to FAT32 so it can be used by my mac and pc?... thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Are you sure it wasn't pre-formatted to FAT already? Mac OS doesn't automatically format a hard drive when you plug it in unless it's a feature I've never heard about. What does automatically happen is that it will ask you if you want to setup the hard drive for Time Machine. That's probably what you thought was automatic.

If you want to format your hard drive then open up Disk Utilities application found in your Applications folder under the sub-folder Utilities. Once you open Disk Utilities it will also tell you what format your hard drive is currently at. You can then choose to format it or leave it if it's already in FAT.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What might have happened is when it asked if it wanted to be setup for Time Machine, and he replied yes, it formatted the drive as HFS Extended Journaled which is what's required for Time Machine use.

Regards.

OP
Ldawg543
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white mac os 10.6.3
thanks, it worked, and im currently transferring the files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
What might have happened is when it asked if it wanted to be setup for Time Machine, and he replied yes, it formatted the drive as HFS Extended Journaled which is what's required for Time Machine use.
That's a good point. I forgot about that part.

Ldawg543, it's good to hear that things worked out for you. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.