27" quadcore imac problem..

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 27" imac..it seems to be a little sluggish and slow to react and I am thinking it might be time to do some spring cleaning.

is there anyway of doing this or is it not necessary for a mac?

also I noticed my mac won't turn on ( just a constant white screen) UNLESS I remove ALL USB devices, then it turns on. I am deeply concerned my mac is going all 'windows' on me, I switched o a mac form windows simply because I didn't want to deal with this nonsense any more!

all help gratefully recieved :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What tasks seem to indicate that your iMac is sluggish? Are these tasks you've done in the past and were faster? A few examples would help..

There is always Onyx if you wanted to clean things up.

Requiring that all USB devices are unplugged to boot up is not correct, what kinds of devices do you have plugged in anyway?

Remember..the most information you give us about your setup/problem, the better we can help you..don't make us guess..:)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Onyx
Titanium Software
And pick the version of it for the version of OS X you have. That is probably one of the best spring cleaning applications out there for the Mac and it's OS X. Give that a go and see if you see any improvements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
+1 for each of my friends who recommended Onyx. It'll do some maintenance. It will also ask you to verify a couple of things when it first runs. Verify your hard disk (it told me mine needed to be repaired, even though I hadn't noticed any issues with performance). You may have to reboot from your OS disc to repair the hard disk, but that's alright. I did it and my computer is actually running much more quickly now.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi..the software I use routinely that I have noticed slowing down are Adobe lightroom and Photoshop CS4. My mac is running Mac OS X 10.6.2

The USB devices I attach are 2x western digital passport drives 500gb each.

I will try Onyx..thanks for all the help so far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Do you have at least 5-10% free space on your main hard drive?
And you you have enough space on the hard drive you choose to be your swap disc in photoshop/lightroom?

OP
B
Reaction score
I have about 600gb of hard disk space on my computer hard disk and about 300gb on each of the 500gb western digital passport drives...

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks to everyone..i had to repair my disk using the cd that came with my mac, ran Onyx and everything seems to be much faster now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.