I need a mentor

Reaction score
I just purhcased a very nice Mac Pro G5. As it's my first Mac, I need a mentor to help me through some basic issues. I used one back in college but that was 10+ years ago and I didn't master it then.

If you have the time and are willing to answer a bunch of dumb questions, please contact me Thanks. George

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just purhcased a very nice Mac Pro G5. As it's my first Mac, I need a mentor to help me through some basic issues. I used one back in college but that was 10+ years ago and I didn't master it then.

One quick lesson. You didn't purchase a Mac Pro G5. You either have a "Mac Pro" with an Intel CPU...or you have a "G5" (could be a Powermac G5 Tower or a G5 iMac) with a PPC cpu.

If you have any questions about your Macintosh...just post them here...and members will do their best to answer.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
My guess would be a powermac g5... since they kept the same design for the mac pros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Why don't you just ask them all here? You get, like, the help of everybody here.

Agreed. Ask here and answers you shall receive. You might get 10 different answers for the same question. But that's never a bad thing, more information is always useful.

OP
G
Reaction score
landlord of

The Box says Mac Pro. I just assumed it was a G5. Please correct me as to the correct "official" name so I'll know in the future. Some brief history: I've been around computers for 20+ years, all except college is on PC's. I'm 50 and do mostly writing and photography. I plan on doing some video work with this machine.

First off, how do I change the name of the 'owner' of the computer and set up the pass word? Next, there is a picture of a cheerleader on the screen that won't go away even if you open an application. The application will open over it, but it remains there. How do I get rid of her?

I'll come up with some other questions later as I'm a bit rushed right now. Thanks for the help. George

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome..click on the Apple logo on the top left and About This Mac to see what you have ..this will tell you your Mac OS version number and the Processor type.

The cheerleader is most likely on the desktop as your background, so go to System Preferences->Display and change it there.

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.3Ghz Power PC G5

Yupp...that computer is a Powermac G5 (not a Mac Pro). They do look VERY similar on the outside...but VERY different on the inside.

Let us know what version of the Mac OS is on it (Apple Menu > About this Mac)...since this may help with future questions you may have.

Welcome,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
OS X.5.3 is what it shows.

I went to the display setup and didn't find a file where the cheerleader was. There was the usual files: plants, solid colors etc. I went to 'desktop' on the top and when I pressed it the typical exploding star screen came up and the cheer leader was gone. Hopefully that solved that issue.

I remember having a trash can icon on the main screen on the school computers. I just have Macintosh HD and Storage Icons on the right, and the dock on the bottom. Where do I find the trash can and get it on the main screen? TIA. George

OP
G
Reaction score
I guess the next thing is deleting the previous owners accounts and creating mine. I went to "accounts" and went to "password", change .Mac user Name to my name, but it still shows the previous owner as the "administrator" What do I need to do now?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the next thing is deleting the previous owners accounts and creating mine. I went to "accounts" and went to "password", change .Mac user Name to my name, but it still shows the previous owner as the "administrator" What do I need to do now?

Personally (whenever I purchase a "new to me" used computer)...I like to completely erase/wipe the hard drive...and do a fresh install of the OS.

So if you have a Mac OS install disk(s)...this is what I would do. This would solve all issues you currently mentioned.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Personally (whenever I purchase a "new to me" used computer)...I like to completely erase/wipe the hard drive...and do a fresh install of the OS.

So if you have a Mac OS install disk(s)...this is what I would do. This would solve all issues you currently mentioned.

- Nick

+1, was just about to say this..you should've gotten the CD's that go along with your PowerMac that you can use to re-install and then configure it in the way you wish..

Regards

OP
G
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't get the OS disk(s). I'll ask the seller for the disks though. Will a new install remove the programs or just reinstall the OS? If I don't get the disks, what do I do next? George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
gavoss at swbell dot net
(edited)

It's not a good idea to leave a properly formatted e-mail address on a public forum, unless you like spam. Hit the Edit button and revise or remove it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment about the email address. I've corrected it.

I sent an email to the previous owner and I'm waiting for his response. He doesn't answer email very quickly but he's been honest with me so far so I expect a response within the next day or so.

I'll keep you posted. George

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately I didn't get the OS disk(s). I'll ask the seller for the disks though. Will a new install remove the programs or just reinstall the OS? If I don't get the disks, what do I do next? George

If you do a reinstall of the OS...it will not remove the programs (as long as you don't wipe/erase the hard drive).

If you don't get the disk(s)...you could buy an OS Install disk (black disk, OS 10.5...not cheap...$100-$125).

To get rid of the cheerleader go to:

- Apple menu > System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver
- from here just choose a different desktop pattern or background

To get rid of the previous owner's info is not as easy...and that's why reinstalling the OS makes correcting this part easier.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. If he doesn't come through with the disks I think I'll buy them since I plan on keeping this computer for a while. My goal is to make DVD's and deal with photographs. The computer came with lots of software AI, Bridge, CT, Dw, Fw, Fl, Id, Ps, Final cut pro, Shake etc so I have what I need to handle the work.

I just want to get setup so when the recording starts I won't have to fool with computer basics and I'll only have to learn the new software.

Reinstalling the OS won't remove the programs will it? Also, can I save a copy of each program on a CD for later reinstall? If so, how do I do that? TIA Again! George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
You also need to get the original install disks for the software the seller had installed on the computer, as well as the OS disks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. If he doesn't come through with the disks I think I'll buy them since I plan on keeping this computer for a while. My goal is to make DVD's and deal with photographs. The computer came with lots of software AI, Bridge, CT, Dw, Fw, Fl, Id, Ps, Final cut pro, Shake etc so I have what I need to handle the work.

I just want to get setup so when the recording starts I won't have to fool with computer basics and I'll only have to learn the new software.

Reinstalling the OS won't remove the programs will it? Also, can I save a copy of each program on a CD for later reinstall? If so, how do I do that? TIA Again! George

If you don't get the OS disk from the previous owner...purchasing your own install disk is a great idea!

As far as the programs on the hard drive. I don't want to be a "party-pooper"...but unless you got the original install disks for them...they are not legit installs.

Any further discussion of non-legit software installs is frowned upon here. Sorry.:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.