PDF Files won't print

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
When I try to print from a PDF file I get the following error.

Error: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number 13

To print from a PDF file I have been opening the PDF file with Preview and printing from there.

Is there any way to print directly from Adobe?

Larry H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have been printing pdfs from Preview in Tiger Leopard and Snow Leopard with no problems, so would guess you have a broken linkage or corruption of some sort. Have you tried doing some housework with Onyx and what is this 'psto pdf filter'? pstopdffilter/ where did that come from? Or if you downloaded the pdf in Safari, then try Safari > Reset Safari

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Preview in Snow Lepoard prints OK. I am downloading PDF files by using Firefox.

The error code is showing up in the printer control panel, the panel is available by clicking on the printer icon on the dock. The printer is an HP 7200.

I would like to be able to print from the Adobe Reader by using File>Print as the Preview does not print the exact same thing as the Adobe PDF shows.

Larry H

C

chas_m

So, just to be sure I understand you, printing in Adobe Reader fails with a program-related error message, but printing in Preview is fine?

If that's correct, then the problem cannot be with the printer and must be with Adobe Reader. Check to see if you're up to date; if you are, check the Adobe Reader preferences with special attention to anything having to do with printing; if that doesn't solve the problem I'd suggest uninstalling Adobe Reader thoroughly, then re-downloading it and installing again.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina,

Thanks you for the link to the Adobe forum. I now understand that this problem is probably an Adobe, or possibly an HP problem.

The suggested work around to 'print as image' from the 'advanced' button on the print control panel works on my setup. While this is not ideal, at least it will work until Adobe/HP fixes the problem.

Larry H

PS Last night I updated to OS X 10.6.3 but that did not fix this Adobe printing problem.

Reaction score
Problems printing pdf files on Mac

I had the same problem. On the internet, I found an article at the following URL: TidBITS Problem Solving: OpenType PostScript Fonts Troublesome in 10.6.7. It states that this is a problem in Mac OSX 10.6.7 concerning OpenType PostScript fonts. They suggest not using open type postscript fonts but, if you have to, "the only solution appears to be to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from DVD, and then apply the Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update Combo to return to the most recent release of Snow Leopard before this problem appeared." There are a lot of comments after the article.

Oddly, I did not have this problem previously and then it just appeared when I tried to print a pdf file from an e-mail today. After doing much searching & reading, and joining this forum, I checked the OSX version I'm using, which turns out to be 10.6. 8. Then I checked for updates (although I get them automatically), and found that no further updates were available. Then I tried printing the pdf again and it worked. I have no idea why.

Reaction score
i have a macbook pro and when I try to download my file( T4 slip from website) so that it will open in pdf foormat, it always changes to serviet tex format. I am at a loss to how I can get it to show in pdf. thanks for any help. I used to be able to download using safari, but now I can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Change the extension to .pdf... works on several websites I have to download .pdfs from.

Reaction score
Preview in Snow Lepoard prints OK. I am downloading PDF files by using Firefox.

The error code is showing up in the printer control panel, the panel is available by clicking on the printer icon on the dock. The printer is an HP 7200.

I would like to be able to print from the Adobe Reader by using File>Print as the Preview does not print the exact same thing as the Adobe PDF shows.

Larry H

What worked for me was "saving as pdf file" to my desktop or documents folder. Opened up in adobe reader selected "print option" and then "advanced" tab. Finally selecting at bottom "print as Image". This printed everything on my page

Cheers:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.