Extrenal HD tri-partition

Reaction score
I am switching back and forth between my windows and MAC machines, in different locations.

I have a 160gb drive that I want to partition into 3 sections.

1: Fat 32, for moving files between machines
2: NTFS for large files from my windows machine copied to my MAC
3: Mac for moving large files to the other mac.

I went into the disk utilities, setup a 3 partition system. 1 at fat32, one at Mac OSx Extended (not sure if that's right) and the 3rd I left open to format in windows for NTFS.

Moved the drive to my windows machine, not only was the 3rd partition not available to format, but the drive didn't show up at all.

Where did I go wrong?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This thread might give you some help. I haven't tried this little experiment although I did try the earlier version of this hint with hfs+ and FAT32. I suggest reading the entire thread. I think some of the later comments include revisions to the process. Create an HFS+/NTFS/FAT32 external drive - Mac OS X Hints

Neglected to mention a potential problem earlier. When I tested a similar hint a few years ago the FAT32 partition mounted fine. I used to have to manually mount the hfs+ manually. I haven't tried this version of the procedure I con't have a spare drive around at the moment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you trying to view the drive from Windows? My Computer? Windows File Explorer? Disk Manager?

It should show up in Disk Manager regardless of how it's formatted.

Regards.

C

chas_m

Since Sylvester seems to have found the solution, I should mention that Mac is not an acronym, therefore shouldn't be capitalized.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I was trying to view it in my computer, though even when I went to the manage function and look at the disk managers it showed up as a single bad partition.

This should work though, I will give it a shot today.

Apologies about the random capitalization...

C

chas_m

As long as I'm being smart-alecky, I should add that a 160GB HD divided into three partitions is going to be seen as a mistake sooner rather than later. I'm not against what you're trying to do, only concerned that 160GB total isn't NEARLY enough space to do what you want. Given the insanely low prices of 500 and 1TB drives, I'd think bigger. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Ah-ha. I figured someone would say that.

This is merely a transport drive, as I have ample storage at both locations, and just need an easy device to move between platforms and places.

Point taken though, those drives are insanely cheap these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.