• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone coming to Verizon?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like a CDMA version of the iPhone may be forthcoming.... Not sure if dealing with Verizon will be any better than AT&T though. Certainly not any less expensive. :(

LINK to article.

Regards.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have some assurance that the CDMA version of the iPhone is definitely coming soon. Used to be a VZW customer a long time ago and in the Northeast their network is very nice..

With AT&T's acquisition of Cingular..now my service is perfectly fine..my wife has has a work blackberry on VZW, and my network is way better in the house than hers..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Around here the ATT service is notoriously horrible, while the verizon coverage is great. Everyone I know, of course, have their iPhones, and they always hit deadzones (and in many of their cases can't even get service in their own homes). I'm on verizon and have no problems.

I love my blackberry, but I wouldn't be against getting an iPhone if and when they come to verizon. I definitely won't change my service to have one, though. Not with the poor coverage and (from what I understand) crappy customer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It will be good if it's true. It's more about having options rather than me caring that Verizon is getting the iPhone. Cell phone companies already have so many tactics to keep us from switching providers so that we can't find the best one for our area. The phone exclusivity is just one of the annoying tactics.

Reaction score
Oh boy let me start saving for the cancelation fees to be freed form AT&T

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've heard that a time or two now. Having a hard time buying into it yet again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

I hope it is true. I would like an iPhone.:) While my CrackBerry is nice, the OS just isn't great. CDMA is used in other parts of the world besides the US. The CrackBerry 9650 Tour has a dual mode chip CDMA/GSM, and if the iPhone can incorporate this, you would have a phone for worldwide use. After, incorporate LTE, and let the party begin!

Reaction score
It would be really really cool if the IPhone could work for the Verizon. I would get it under there plan the signal must work good.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read the article from the link supplied. The CDMA version of the iPhone will be made and assembled in a different factory from the GSM version. Apple will never allow a dual chip version.

However, I've seen unlocked GSM iPhones (3G, 16 GB and 32 GB) for sale here in the US. Prices start out at around $800.... :eek:

Regards.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like it's more than a rumor. The Wall Street Journal is now reporting the following: LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I like my AT&T service, this wouldn't make me switch. Plus, I'm more interested in what the fourth gen iPhone has to offer. If it's lackluster, then Android here I come

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
I love my Android phone. I have an HTC Hero right now, and am looking forward to Sprint getting both the N1 and the fancy new Evo this summer. With that said, I have nothing inherently against the iPhone itself. I know it'd work great with all of my computers :) If I think the next generation of it is what is best for me, and it's on a service I'm comfortable with, then I'll go with it. So I'm very happy to hear (as I always have been) rumors of if hitting other carriers. Here's hoping.

Reaction score
The minute the iphone goes on sale with Verizon I will be ordering one. I was considering going to AT&T when my contract expires in September but now I will stay with Verizon. Just hope it doesn't take 6 months to get the phone due to all the orders I'm sure they'll get.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The minute the iphone goes on sale with Verizon I will be ordering one. I was considering going to AT&T when my contract expires in September but now I will stay with Verizon. Just hope it doesn't take 6 months to get the phone due to all the orders I'm sure they'll get.

I would say don't hold your breath. I have been waiting as well, but as many times as this rumor has surfaced (and often from very credible sources), it's been shot down by actual product announcements.

Remember, it was widely rumored that the iPad (from rumors dating back 2 or 3 years) would debut on Verizon. And those rumors went all the way up to the day it was announced. The crowd was shocked when AT&T remained the vendor of choice for Apple.

On the surface, Apple stands to gain tremendously by having relationships with multiple vendors. But for as long as they've stayed exclusive to AT&T, there must be a compelling reason to maintain that relationship.

Reaction score
I just HOPE apple is able to make a CDMA iphone that actually has the ability to get decent reception because they tanked on the GSM version. Gen 1 had the best reception 3gs is miserable. Yes I know ATT blows as a carrier but the iphone also contributes to this problem. Sitting in my house the iphone will reliably drop a call and have major dropout. I pull out the sim put it in a bb or my old razr and dbl the bars no issues with dropped calls nearly as often. If only nokia would make something with as great an interface as the iphone.

Reaction score
I would say don't hold your breath. I have been waiting as well, but as many times as this rumor has surfaced (and often from very credible sources), it's been shot down by actual product announcements.

Remember, it was widely rumored that the iPad (from rumors dating back 2 or 3 years) would debut on Verizon. And those rumors went all the way up to the day it was announced. The crowd was shocked when AT&T remained the vendor of choice for Apple.

On the surface, Apple stands to gain tremendously by having relationships with multiple vendors. But for as long as they've stayed exclusive to AT&T, there must be a compelling reason to maintain that relationship.

Well the way I figure it is by the time the new one is released to AT&T we should know one way or the other if Verizon is getting it for sure. If they're not I'll take my chances and go with the AT&T iphone. Either way my current contract is up at the end of summer and I'm leaning heavily toward an iphone right now, although a few others are certainly acceptable and the deciding factor then would be that I wish to remain with Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Here in Minneapolis, AT&T service is spotty at best. Verizon, on the other hand, seems to be very well established even in downtown and rural areas. I take an "I'll believe it when I see it." approach to the iPhone coming to Verizon.

That said, my AT&T contract ends in November 2010, and I WILL be leaving AT&T (regardless of what handset I have) due to poor call quality and lost and delayed voice mail messages. An option to move to Verizon and keep an iPhone would be great. However, if the iPhone doesn't show up on Verizon, I'm still parting ways with AT&T.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.