Password Help Please

Reaction score
Both my master password and my login passwords were changed by someone or something and now I can't access my Mac Book. Can this be fixed at an Apple store or am I screwed? Any advise would really help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I think you can use the original install disk. But that is only if you don't have FireVault activated.

This might help: Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

And yes, Apple can retrieve your password at an Apple Store. Sometimes even the mac person at best buy can do it.

C

chas_m

The ONLY way these could have been changed is by the following two methods:

1. You renamed your home folder
2. Someone with physical access to your machine AND knowledge of all your passwords changed them

I'm not sure what you mean by "Master Password," but if you're referring to Filevault, YOU'RE SCREWED. This is why I spend so much time warning people off Filevault.

If you're not referring to Filevault and are instead referring to your admin password that you use to log into your account, then you can change that yourself:

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
(scroll down to "Resetting the Original Administrator Account Password")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well, not screwed. You'll just need to go out and get a new 2.5inch laptop drive and use a fresh install of OS X. The computer hardware is still fine though.

C

chas_m

what is firevault?

It's called Filevault, and you don't wanna know. :)

Oh, all right, I'll tell you: it's an Apple security option that encrypts the entire home folder.

This REALLY slows things down, and if you forget/can't use your Master Password, that's it -- your entire home folder and all your stuff is irretrievably gone. It's a really bad idea for anyone short of perhaps a CIA director.

Much better option for those people who have "sensitive" material on their machines: an encrypted sparse disk image for JUST that material.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I think you can use the original install disk. But that is only if you don't have FireVault activated.

This might help: Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

^^^ worked like a charm! :D

I made a bootable rescue USB thumbdrive (per MacLife's How To Handbook magazine Spring 2010) and I couldn't log in with it. Booted with the original OSX disk, clicked on the change password option, selected USB thumbdrive, changed the password and now I'm in like flint!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
^^^ worked like a charm! :D

I made a bootable rescue USB thumbdrive (per MacLife's How To Handbook magazine Spring 2010) and I couldn't log in with it. Booted with the original OSX disk, clicked on the change password option, selected USB thumbdrive, changed the password and now I'm in like flint!!!

Nice :p Glad you got your stuff back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.