do I even need a better sound card?

I have a rotel audio system w/ celestion speakers as my main listening source. however, I do want to come listen to music on my powermac g5 and have it sound good. abvouisly, it won't even approach the quality I get with $30,000 plus audio system, but I do want good sound quaility. i have done a lot of searching, and the Altec-Lansing fx6021 seem's to be audiophiles choice for speakers for a computer system (especially sexxy are the two altec-lansing, screaming LOOK-A-LIKE powermac G5 12 individual speakers, silver looking dude's). Is this $300 audio system for a computer going to benefit from a sound card (like an audigy zs2), OR FOR 2-CHANNEL audio with a subwoofer, is the card that come's with my powermac g5 dual 1.8 going to sound the same? in other words, (and only those who know, please) If I am just running 2 channel audio, and not 7.1 or Dvd Audio, is it necessary to buy an aftermarket sound card to get great sound quality?

OP
E

ellaym

i have been wondering the same thing, and hopefully someone will chime in on this -- exernal sound card or no?????

BTW, if you dont mind my saying so, can i recommend that you check out the klipsch promedia 2.1 THX certified. i did tons of research all over the net-- reading reviews,etc.-- and more often than not the klipsch won out over the altecs. i then went and "test drove" both, and honestly altho i liked the look of the altecs, i ended up buying the klipsch (they just had a fuller feel to them). i also rad alot of complaints about the altecs falling over cause they are kinda tall for the weight they have. i just thorw this out for you to consider...

dale

I have a rotel audio system w/ celestion speakers as my main listening source. however, I do want to come listen to music on my powermac g5 and have it sound good. abvouisly, it won't even approach the quality I get with $30,000 plus audio system, but I do want good sound quaility. i have done a lot of searching, and the Altec-Lansing fx6021 seem's to be audiophiles choice for speakers for a computer system (especially sexxy are the two altec-lansing, screaming LOOK-A-LIKE powermac G5 12 individual speakers, silver looking dude's). Is this $300 audio system for a computer going to benefit from a sound card (like an audigy zs2), OR FOR 2-CHANNEL audio with a subwoofer, is the card that come's with my powermac g5 dual 1.8 going to sound the same? in other words, (and only those who know, please) If I am just running 2 channel audio, and not 7.1 or Dvd Audio, is it necessary to buy an aftermarket sound card to get great sound quality?

OP
M

mazbl

thanks for the recommendation about the klipsch, but I started out with klipsch speakers as my first audio system for the living room. Love them for surround sound (can't beat those tractrix horns) but for music, that's a different story. Se what you get is good highs, and good lows, I still run a klipsch reference 12" powered sub in my surround setup (alway's loved Klipsch's base) But the midrange is completely gone! That's why I ended up going with celestion speakers because they are all about the mid's! (they make guitar speakers) and that's all midrange stuff (piano, kick drum, etc.)
But I must ask you, do you'r klipsh sound good with the built in sound card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.