Umount Macintosh HD Windows 7

Reaction score
Hello,

Finally managed to get Windows 7 installed on my Macbook Pro. However, it automatically mounts my Macintosh HD partition. Can this be remove/avoided?

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The ability to read your MacIntosh HD is included along with the Boot Camp drivers that were installed. I don't know of a way to exclude that capability.

You can not write to your Mac HD without special software so it really does no harm to be able to read from it while Windows 7 is running.

However, you can copy files from your Mac HD to Windows 7 while Windows 7 is up and running. A nice feature.

Regards.

Reaction score
The OP may be asking a different question - the question may be that the machine boots into Mac OS rather than Windows. If that's the question, you can set your preferences in OSX (or Windows) to boot into one or the other by default. This is explained in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Sorry. I should have been more clear.

The first reply was correct but thanks SammySlim:Cool:

Yeah. I just don't want my Mac files open to Windows in any such way. I can't find a way to unmount the drive via Google :(.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
rephrased - still drinking coffee: I don't believe there is a way to prevent the mounting of all partitions sitting on the same drive as the OS at boot.

Reaction score
I don't know how to do it in Windows 7, but in XP if you rename the following files the OSX partition will be invisible to XP.
system32/drivers/applehfs.sys
system32/drivers/applemnt.sys

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both of those files likewise exist in Windows 7. Do as suggested and rename them to see what happens.

If the files are protected as most driver files are, Windows 7 will immediately re-create them. Not sure they are, but it won't hurt to try anyway. Let us know if it works.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.