Odd Finder behavior with icons from time to time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Okay, so I'm still running on Panther since I'm still kind of learning this whole MacOS thing, aaaand I'm not quite ready to spend the bucks to upgrade.

Anyway I've noticed that from time to time that icons for certain files/folders/apps will change spontaneously to the icon for some other file/folder/app that it shouldn't be. I forget precisely what file/folder/app it was that I first saw do this, but it was something that changed over to the MS Windows media player icon. I seem to recall that it still launched the right app for the file type.

Most recently I noticed this after I burned a CD this morning. I dragged a bunch of files over to a blank CD which was represented by the correct CDROM icon, waited for it to complete the 'copy' and then selected the "Burn CD" option to make this final. I go get ready for work while this is happening, and when I come back to the finished operation I don't see a CD icon anywhere. Okay, where did my CD go. I need that to eject it at the least...last time this happened (long other story) I needed to reboot and I don't like to boot my Mac if I don't have to. So I get the bright idea to open up the Drive icon to bring up a Finder window. Okay, there's my CD with an eject symbol next to it, but it's sporting the icon you usually see for the "Network". Okay, maybe my mini is confused. So I eject it and re-insert it. Now it shows up on the desktop, but it's still got that "Network" icon associated with it. Okay, fine I gotta go to work, so I drag it to the dock to eject it and put the CD away.

When I get back from work I figure I'll put that CD in and see what icon it's going to decide to show now, and sure enough it's still got that "Network" icon on the desktop. In a Finder window, however, it's showing the CD as a Hard Drive Icon, though with an eject symbol.

And now it just gets better, since while writing this post I thought I'd drag it to the dock just to make sure it turned the trashcan into an eject symbol, noted that it did, then dragged it back to where it was (approximately anyway) on the desktop. During that time it spontaneously turned into an "Eject" icon, which is what it is now. Still shows up in the Finder pane as a Hard Drive icon.

So, is this a bug, feature, something that just kind of happens, welcome to the world of Macintosh...or should I just go ahead with the standard "Repair Permissions" thing?

OP
walkerj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, looks like I should have just gone back over my UNIX background of "When in doubt...and when the machine has been up for 19 days with you banging on it with buggy browsers, burning stuff, opening/closing apps, running CPU/Graphic intensive games, and otherwise abusing the poor thing log out and log back in and chances are it'll all fix itself."

Which it appears to have done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.