Mouse controls on mac

Reaction score
I've just bout a macbook pro 13 inch. I have partitioned my hard drive and installed windows 7 along with solidworks 3d design software. when using windows on the mac the touch pad controls dont work the same as they would say if you were using a windows pc (e.g. you cant scroll by running your finger down the side of the touch pad or rotate objects in solidworks by holding down the middle button of a mouse). i was wondering if anyone knows how to alter settings on the windows side of my mac to allow the touchpad to work like this (without altering settings on the mac side). or whether a windows mouse installed on the windows side of the partition would work as a normal windows mouse would on a pc? thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. Yes a windows mouse with the correct windows drivers will work exactly the same in bootcamp as it would if it was used on a PC.

2. For multitouch trackpad gestures in bootcamp windows read this please.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3372
Your MacBook or Macbook Pro with Mult-Touch technology works with Windows XP and Vista. You can use your trackpad in Windows for secondary clicking, dragging, scrolling, and more. Be sure you have installed the Multi-Touch Trackpad Update for Windows XP and Vista 1.0 to use supported gestures in Windows.
So just one download from Apple and get all of your multitouch in your trackpad in windows bootcamp.

3. And for the Apple magic mouse. Please read this.

Apple Magic Mouse: Vertical scrolling and swiping do not work with Microsoft Windows using Boot Camp
If you are using Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, download and install the Boot Camp 3.1 Update to enable these functions in Windows.
For computers with Mac OS X v 10.5 Leopard, download and install the Boot Camp 2.2 Update.
So that's just a quick download if you choose to get an Apple Magic Mouse. The download just allows you to use all the multitouch the mouse has to offer in bootcamp - windows.

OP
L
Reaction score
so if i was to get a magic mouse would i be able to use the centre click button like i could on a windows mouse? this is essentialy all i need to make using solidworks easier so would i be best with a magic mouse or a windows mouse? thanks a lot

OP
L
Reaction score
and does anyone know about any update drivers for the touch pad on a macbook pro that work on windows 7? thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. The magic mouse has no central button. Just a left and right. As far as I know, I've used one for a while and never found a middle button functionality for it. But in saying that I found a few apps that give the magic mouse middle click functionality.
3-tap Middleclick on OSX for MacBook & Magic Mouse
Expogesture
Better multi monitor & multitouch experience for Mac OS X by Andreas Hegenberg SecondBar & BetterTouchTool Blog

2. I've looked all over the net for answers to the "multitouch trackpad in windows 7" issue. And many many responces tell me the link for the above fin for XP and vista seems to work in W7 also. I've never tried it as I don't have a macbook. But it's worth a try I say.

Download here
Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.1 for Windows

OP
L
Reaction score
ive had a go downloading it but it doesnt seem to run on windows 7, it says that it cant install as its not intended for this software. guess the only thing i can do really is to purchase a mouse intended for windows as this seems to be the only way that i can get the functions i need? thanks a lot for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Can you run it in compatibility mode for Vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I think you're right. For the trackpad and W7 I think a windows mouse or waiting for Apple to make W7 drivers is all you can do.

OP
L
Reaction score
yeah ill pop down pc world and pick up a cheep mouse seein as all i need it for is windows on bootcamp (which i dont use that much anyway) thanks a lot for your help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.