OMGOSH!!!! Imac keeps resetting programs and settings!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
I just set up iChat finally got all my buddies working, my mail, my mouse settings, keyboard settings etc...

The computer froze, went into pinwheel of death, had to do a hard restart. Now, all my settings are reset. When I click on iChat it gives me the account screen like I haven't even signed up. Mouse settings reset, mail, etc...

Anyone have a clue what this could be?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you save all those settings (hit apply) before the computer froze up and you did a hard reboot?

You might want to do some trouble shooting to find why the computer froze. Provide some specs on your iMac and maybe we can help.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And/or changed the name of your home folder by chance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Why did you change the name of your home folder? It's pretty involved to try to recover from that I think.

I don't know. I've never done it...

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why did you change the name of your home folder? It's pretty involved to try to recover from that I think.

I don't know. I've never done it...

b/c it's at work and I've taken over the computer from another co-worker. The folder had his name on it. So I changed it to mine. Thought it was just a name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
In System Preferences there's an icon marked Account. You can create a whole new account there with your name on it. You can set a password and aaaaall your stuff will be there! :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In System Preferences there's an icon marked Account. You can create a whole new account there with your name on it. You can set a password and aaaaall your stuff will be there! :)

i don't want to do that. Still need access to the files. It's fine I don't care about the name on the folder if it's that big of a deal.

can I reset something so I don't have to enter in all my buddies and set everything up again?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
that is ridiculous. How lame that the whole computer can be messed up just be renaming a folder. That's insane.

The whole computer isn't "messed up", just the person's user account. And the same thing would happen if you just haphazardly renamed your profile in Windows.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you read the URL provided by CWA? Simple fix.

C

chas_m

that is ridiculous. How lame that the whole computer can be messed up just be renaming a folder. That's insane.

It would be insane if that's what you did. But that's not what you did.

You renamed AN ACCOUNT. Doing so divorces the contents from its owner, and it's **** to get it back.

As pointed out, this is exactly the same as renaming your profile in Windows, with the same consequences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.