Dual 2.7's for $3K -- available today
OR
G5 2.0GHz Imac for $1800 -- available tomorrow

Uses:
Photo editing and printing
DV video editing and copying
Internet

Must co-exist with my Athlon 64 3500+ PC
Last time I used a Mac was in the OS/9 days.
Dying to get my hands on one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
emtownsend said:
Dual 2.7's for $3K -- available today
OR
G5 2.0GHz Imac for $1800 -- available tomorrow

Uses:
Photo editing and printing
DV video editing and copying
Internet

Must co-exist with my Athlon 64 3500+ PC
Last time I used a Mac was in the OS/9 days.
Dying to get my hands on one!

You are looking at two VERY different platforms. Unless you are absolutely convinced that you need the speed of the Power Mac (as I was when I bought my dual 2.3 Ghz), then you'll be just as happy saving $1200 and getting the iMac, which is still a VERY GOOD MACHINE (and has its own display.) As a bonus, you can get a very legal, third party patch which allows the iMac to use an external monitor in extended desktop mode (double your real estate!)

I don't know where to get it at the moment though, so please- don't ask! Maybe somebody else on here does.

What sort of monitor do you have? I noticed that your price estimate does not include the price of a display, since I know the 2.7 Ghz is $3K to start. That might influence your decision a bit.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

OP
E

emtownsend

sevenhelmet said:
What sort of monitor do you have? I noticed that your price estimate does not include the price of a display, since I know the 2.7 Ghz is $3K to start. That might influence your decision a bit.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Hi and thanks! I have a Samsung 21.3" LCD that I was planning on using.

I also have the option of going with the dual 2.3's and save around $500.

I am looking at purchasing at my local CompUSA.

OP
E

emtownsend

Also, are Mac apps dual processor aware? Will the extra processor help or are the duals faster due to other system advances? (Sorry, ignorant question!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea mate they are cause its a mac ;)

if i were you id go for the dual 2.3 and spend the rest of RAM and some other goodies

OP
C

Cloudane

Depends how much of an issue money is I suppose?

The PowerMac is a real beast, and has the flexibility of being able to upgrade the graphics card etc. But if money is much of an issue at all, I think the iMac would suit your needs.

OP
E

emtownsend

Many thanks

Well, I am kind of a PC speed freak. I drive my wife crazy with all the gadgets and upgrades I get. I use them though. I don't just get 'em and let them sit. So, I am kind of trying to talk myself into the Power Mac as opposed to the iMac; but for my first Mac (or return rather) I am not sure if I should go all out... But I crave the power! :cool:
I have a feeling that once I use either one, I will relegate the PC to a gaming only rig. That's OK though.
Well, I will let you all know what I choose tomorrow! The iMac 20" will be in tomorrow and the 2.7's is in stock.
Thanks!

OP
S

swanny338

Hey, I was right at the same position as you just a few weeks ago, I decided to dive in with a Dual 2.7 as my first ever mac. I haven't touched my PC since I got this mac... You won't regret getting either of the two

If you have any questions about the dual 2.7 go ahead and ask away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
The Dual 2.7 is a LOT of power!

I was once (well like 2 weeks ago) a speed freak. I always wanted a faster and more powerful rig. I was planning on building a Athlon 64 X2 ( the new dual core chips) with water cooling to be silent, cool, and powerful in my bedroom. I had been flirting with the idea of Mac for a while...but the one I could afford was the iMac...a paltry 2.0 GHz? My current Athlon rig was OC'd to a 2100+ (1753MHz). But, I bit the bullet and bought it.

And you know what? It may not be the fastest, but I don't care anymore. Stuff is just so pleasant to use, it just works. A dual 2.7 would blaze, but I really don't care waiting on the Mac. t seems to multitask very well compared to Windows XP, so I can just let one task go in the background and do something else without a problem.

The iMac just looks cool, is silent, and just works. Now, if you want the dualie, go ahead, it is very sweet. But I have found that in the Mac world, not only is the MHz Myth busted (a 2.0 GHz G5 feels quicker than a similar P4), but also, speed really doesn't matter. It seems that RAM is just about as important, if not more, in determining your "speedyness"

Both systems have thier advantages, but I don't think you can really go wrong with either one you choose. My next Mac may well be a dual PowerMac, but we'll see when the time has come. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
trust me your athlon will be relegated to a games pc ;)

and as for speed.....well lets just say that out of an 1800xp laptop and my PB G4 1Ghz laptop i know which one is quicker, more reliable and doesnt complain when i try to do about 6 things at once

OP
E

emtownsend

I am definately looking forward to the elegance and the reliability of the Mac.
I snatched up a "refurbed" X800XT Mac Edition from Newegg last night. I hope it works OK. I have taken the refurb chance before and have been lucky about 90% of the time. Once in a while it is a dud but they are good about refunding me if the item turns out to be busted. For $376 I felt it was worth a try; especially since I can fall back on the included 9650. So, this should turn out to be quite a rig!!
I appreciate everyone's input & I expect I will be needing tips and hints when I get this baby up and running...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I recently bought a dual 2.3 because that way I could afford the 23" monitor and a RAM upgrade. I haven't used it yet, but somehow I doubt I'll miss the extra 0.4 Ghz. And the $400 went into making it a more "well rounded" system.

You sound like a guy who might not be happy with anything BUT a powermac. Have you been to the Apple Store to try out the computers there? That helped me with my decision...

EDIT: Or CompUSA... they have demo machines too- I forgot that not everybody has an Apple Store within 30 miles of their location.

OP
N

North Bay 101

I second the Apple Store. They answered all of my questions and there wasn't any pressure. After three visits I walked out ( actually, they carted out ) with my new machine G5 dual 2.0. Veru happy but still confused. This is why I am on this board.

Gordon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
How much video editing do you do? If its occasional, then go the iMac. If its a weekly thing (like me) andyour living on final cut, combustion, shake, aefx....go the dual. MULTIPLE RENDERS! NO LAG!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.