Networking help

Reaction score
OK - I need help. How do I get my new Mac to see the old VISTA CPU on my home router?

All of the printers are plugged into it, so I need to see it. I can see the mac from the PC, but not the other way around....

I have done all I can think of and what the help file tells me!?!?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
All of the research that I did told me that when snow leopard came, it was hit-or-miss whether the shared windows computers would show up or not. What you can do is click on "connect to server" in the "go" menu, and type in the smb address of the pc you want to connect to. You'll be connected to it, until you disconnect from the network or power off your mac.

Edit: Should have mentioned how to get your SMB address. It's the name assigned to your PC on the network. In my case, it is Greg-PC. Using your windows PC, click on "My Network Places" and it should show a list of computers on your network, including the PC you are using. The name assigned to that PC is your smb address.

Reaction score
Not really hit or miss, but you do need have Bonjour installed to do it. Also, some firewall applications installed on windows will block Bonjour. I'm having this problem with Symantec on one box right now. Before I installed 360 it was fine and after it failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I may try that, myself.

Just wanted to mention, that if you're wanting to share printers, to make sure you turn print-sharing on in your windows network options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It is hit or miss with my home network. Sometimes it will show up. Sometimes it won't. Usually it doesn't show up when I really want/need it to. I'll try that "Go" "Connect to" method next time.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ah man! I still cannot see any printers... They are all shared in Windows, but do not show up on the Mac.

Will I be able to print to them (being hooked to a PC) from the Mac, when I do get them to show?

Reaction score
Do you have the Windows icon on your Mac when you go to add a printer? If not you will need to add it. Go to System Preferences and click on the Print and Fax Icon. Then click on the + to add a new printer. A new window will open. If you do not have an icon at the top that says Windows, you will need to right click at the top and select Customize Toolbar. Then drag the Windows icon onto the toolbar and click done. Once you have done that you should be able to click Windows and see it listed.

Printer Sharing - Add the Windows Printer to Your Mac

Reaction score
Check your settings on the PC and make sure that you have it actually shared. Not sure why it wouldn't be showing up.

OP
L
Reaction score
OK - here is the process I had to use to get it to print....

On the Window side
1) Navigate to the Windows Vista Control Panel
2) Go to the "Programs and Features" pane
3) Click on "Turn Windows Features on or off"
4) Turn on te LPD protocol and make sure that all desired printers are set to be shared

1) Open System preferences
2) Print & fax
3)add a printer and go to IP
4) Protocol choose Line Printer Daemon - LPD
5) In Address just the ip where the printer is e.g 192.168.1.1 nothing more
6) In Queue the printer share name (make sure that is correct or will not work)
7) In Name choose whatever you want
8) Put the same name that you put in Queue
9) Choose the correct print driver for your printer
10) You are done try printing...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.