• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How Complex is Final Cut Pro?

C

code777

I'm just curious how complex it is to learn Final Cut Pro? Is it anything like iMovie? Or if you know iMovie well can you adapt to FC Pro pretty easily? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It is like iMovie in that it has a timeline that you can drag clips to.

The similarities stop there.

The sheer number off options and tools FCP offers is a bit overwhelming at first, especially if you don't have experience in editing. (analog or digital)

I've used it fairly extensively a few months now and still don't know my way around more than the basic functions.

Things are also complicated by the fact that the look & feel is Apple's 'Pro' interface - which isn't newbie friendly as the iLife apps IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
just like any major editing program theres a tad learning curve , kind of like going to "mspaint" to Photoshop ... allot more tools and allot more complex options.. but if your satisfied with iMovie , and can make good movies in iMovie i'd stick to it if you feel you need more control and allot more stuff that will make your video stand out then i would go with final cut ....

if you have the will to learn then it would be a great choice ..

OP
C

code777

i only ask as there is a job at an insurance company that does their own video production and it states that they use Final Cut Pro to produce all video. I was just curious. I know it said they use PM G5's and what better job than using a Mac all day long!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
:-D Go for it .. seriously . there is a place down the road from me they are called live bait productions , and they do work for pixar and other animation places , they'll dub the voices and do some animations for them and so on ... all on macs , i went one day looking for a job and they said they use light wave wich is pretty cool, it was before i had a mac , but any ways , i would try and jump on that , it would be fun i think ,

OP
C

code777

slim chance but i applied anyway. i am sure thousands have already. but its for a large insurance company that does auto/home/annuities/life - kind boring stuff in life but i was surprised to see they used Final Cut Pro.

OP
E

ek3than

what about final cut hd express?

is it still very advanced?

I use imovie in school (im in 8th grade and am part of the imovie club)

ive mastered imovie quite easily, and have made a few movies and montages in it.

Would it be worth it to get final cut express for the holidays?

I dont want to buy it if its way 2 complex.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.