Apple Imac G3 - Can't connect to Internet, please help me!!

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm new to this forum and wondered if you may be able to help me.

I have aquired an Imac G3 with Mac OS version 10.3, Processor 400 MHz, 256 mb Ram.

I bought an airport card of ebay with adapter and fitted it, it has these specs:

Specifications:
Device Type --Network Adapter Form Factor
Model No. - M7600 / M7600LL/C
APN 630-2883 APN 630-2883/C
Plug-in module Interface (Bus) Type
AirPort Data Link Protocol
IEEE 802.11b Data Transfer Rate
128 Bit Encryption
11 Mbps Frequency Band --2.4 GHz Compliant Standards
IEEE 802.11b System Requirements
Apple MacOS 9.0.4 or later, Apple MacOS X 10.1 or later

I am using a Netgear Router, model WGR614 v9

Basically, the password in the flat is simsimmermdimmer and this works on all other laptops including a mac book pro and a windows pc. The Apple Imac G3 reads the netgear connection (as well as all other peoples connections in the surrounding area) but when you press connect, an error message is displayed that says: "There was an error joining the selected AirPort network".

Can anyone please provide me with a step by step solution of what I need to do. I'm thinking it could be to do with the router/imac compatability.

Many Thanks

Eddie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Older versions of the AirPort software do not support WEP, and WPA2. You'll need to upgrade to at least 10.3.9, but 10.4.11 is greatly improved. You can take your iMac to 1GB of RAM pretty cheap these days, too.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi Jamie

Mant thanks for your response, I went on the internet via the cable (which works fine on the G3) and have now installed 10.4.9. I restarted it and it is now installing 11 software updates including AirPort Software version 4.2. Will let you know how it pans out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You mean 10.3.9 correct?

If it still does not connect try this. That is an ASCII key. I remember with Panther 10.3 a lot of users using ASCII keys tried a $ (Dollarsign) in front of the key and that working. Give that a try if nothing else works. $yourkey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.