How trustworthy/verified are the programs on Apple Downloads?

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a general question, but how trustworthy are the programs listed on Apple - Downloads - All Categories ?

The stuff that is from Apple I'm sure is fine. It is Apple's website after all. But I notice they also post 3rd party programs there. Does Apple verify that all of these programs are safe and trustworthy?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Safe and trustworthy in what way? You mean related to whether they might be virus infected, etc.?

If any of them were, we all would have heard about it in a matter of days. It only took a couple of days for the news of pirated software containing a trojan to make the rounds of all the Apple sites.

C

chas_m

Since there aren't any viruses for the Mac, there's no risk of getting one from anything on Apple's download site.

But yes, my understanding is that they do test the programs listed on that page to make sure they are of a certain quality (and do what they say they do).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.