Virtual PC/VMware...how slow is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ok guys. i think ive hit a spot that my mac cant fill (just yet) anyone who uses guitar pro www.guitar-pro.com will tell you, ITS A WONDERFUL APP! allmy bandmates/buddies use it. therefore i need to! im tired of having to fire up my dell just to use this prog.

I hear vmware/virtual PC offer a ood alternative. This program is very light, only requires use of MIDI. can run on win98...maybe even 95 i cant remember. Someone had it on linux using winex, and some midi libs...but probably wont work on mac that way.

guitarpro WILL release a mac/linux version..so they say WHERE IS IT?

Think either these apps could help?? thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
sure, for something simple like that (or so it sounds) Virtual pC is a great choice..... its just not so great for games, remeber that your asking your computer to essentially run osx and windows at the same time....... plus whatever app your using, thats a lot to ask.......

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
if your are going to use vpc or any other program like that i have 3 suggestions. first is to have at least 1gb of ram or as much as you can afford. also, you should install 2000 rather then xp. thirdly, you will need to use an antivirus/ spyware program because you will be vulnerable to these things will using windows. if i were you, i would just use the dell for this. best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
thirdly, you will need to use an antivirus/ spyware program because you will be vulnerable to these things will using windows.

Actually you'll only need to use these if you're hooking up your virtual pc to the internet.

Otherwise just do a minimal installation of window xp, delete everything you don't need (msn messenger for a start) and then just use guitar-pro through that.

Have you checked out any mac alternatives?
Maybe mac-music.org has more info on this subject?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ill try there. It uses .gp3/.gp4 formats. Its basically MIDI with TAB, but it makes writitng music nice and easy, since you can hear it.

Does VPC allow sound?

Luckily, itll only be temporary, since they claim by september, they will have a mac/linux version of guitar pro, which we've all wanted version 1.0

Id actually try jsut doing 2k. if i could get away with win98 id try it. there isnt really anything at all i miss other than that. its pointless to go online with a VPC internet connection

M

menace3054

vpc is sooo sooo sooo slow.... the only thing i use it for is for programs that come on cd with my textbooks.. other than that, i cannot stand how slow it is. i dont think it would be as bad, but they only allow you to allocate 512mb of ram to vpc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
you can get away with Win98 if thats all you want.....Heck you could just install MS DOS I think......LOL

Note to self, never post while on an RSS reader, my above post looks funny :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.