Quick question about save as...

Reaction score
So, when I go to save an image from the web I want to stick it in my pictures folder. On pc I can just navigate directly to the folder from my dialog box. On mac though my options seem to be much more limited as I can't seem to browse any of the folder structures through even the expanded dialog box. Am I cursed to using a two step process in downloads of downloading and moving for the rest of my mac life, or is there a way to obtain the much more convenient Windows like functionality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Assuming you're right-clicking and selecting "Save as..." are you clicking on the arrow (#1) to expand the dialog window and on (#2) to expand the locations/directories? See the corresponding numbered arrows in photo below:

Screenshot2010-03-23at20357PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
And once you click button one - right below it is the folder lists. with the up down arrow. Under there is a recent places list so if you are saving to various folders repeatedly(up to 5 by default), you can just pull down there and select a recent folder instead of having to navigate to it.

Also you could start typing the name of the folder in the search bar (the one with the magnifying glass) instead of navigating all over the place.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, that solves my problem. I'd been clicking the little double arrow next to "where" rather than the single one next to the file name. Makes sense now. I think it's funny how after being "trained" to see things a certain way for many years on one platform you miss some very obvious things when migrating to a new one ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, it's not so obvious, really. The "disclosure triangle" should be labeled. Perhaps it was in OSX 10.0 and long-time Mac users got used to it. But, I'm a long-time Mac user who jumped from 9.2.2 to 10.5.1 and I had to learn about that feature in about the same way you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.