Reserve or Pre-Order

Reaction score
For those who are Reserving - why choose this instead of Pre-Order and vice versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I pre-ordered, because ordering stuff over the internet is generally how I roll. And if the alternative is wading through a mob at the Apple store, even more so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Either way is ok. Just remember this.

"This is where you’ll pick up your iPad between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on April 3."
I'm sure somewhere it said after 3pm it'll be on a first in best dressed basis. So if you can't get in to the store before 3pm better to order online I guess. But in saying that some people like ordering in person. I think each person is different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like the others have said, it's up to personal preference. Do you want it delivered to your door (preorder) or do you want to pick it up at your local Apple Store (reserve) and walk out with all the suckers who didn't reserve theirs gazing at you in awe and envy? :p

OP
I
Reaction score
Sure - I'd like to avoid the crowded stores but I'd like to avoid the restocking fee even more. I still need to see the Ipad in person to get an idea for form factor and if this will in deed be able to replace my e-readers. I plan to hit the store late on launch day and make the decision 16, 32, 64 - or NO Ipad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sure - I'd like to avoid the crowded stores but I'd like to avoid the restocking fee even more. I still need to see the Ipad in person to get an idea for form factor and if this will in deed be able to replace my e-readers. I plan to hit the store late on launch day and make the decision 16, 32, 64 - or NO Ipad.

So if you can't make up your mind about purchasing the iPad until you can see, feel, and use it (which is certainly understandable)...why are you asking about "reserving or pre-ordering"?

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Valid question -

I'm curious as to how many are sure about the purchase sight unseen/touched vs how many people want/need to play with it a bit before purchasing. In general I do not purchase items that have a restocking fee but given that this one does (according to Apple store emp) I want to make sure this one fits the bill.

Initially I was all for just pre-ordering it and having it shipped to my door - but after deciding that all I really want is a color E-Reader more so for emag's than books (the color part that is) I don't want to get stuck with another tablet. I still have two slates from the tablet pc days and they work fine but the form factor is all wrong to replace my 1st gen Sony Ereader and 2nd Gen Kindle. I'm starting to get the feeling that the Ipad may also be all wrong (form factor wise...)

So if you can't make up your mind about purchasing the iPad until you can see, feel, and use it (which is certainly understandable)...why are you asking about "reserving or pre-ordering"?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I pre ordered, the thing is i remember the MBA they were out of stock at stores for a week(base model) I also got mine a day before launch.
Hope lighting strikes twice:)
as for the sight unseen, I love Apple and would love anything they made.

The first launch of the iphone i only saw on TV, the door lady at ATT gave me the demo unit and i fell in love, I was buying one, ended up with 3 glad i had my son and his girl with me:)

OP
I
Reaction score
Good Point - after all its only $500 bucks :Evil: I'm not doubting that I'll very much like it but in this economy I'm trying to keep my wants and needs in check.

I pre ordered, the thing is i remember the MBA they were out of stock at stores for a week(base model) I also got mine a day before launch.
Hope lighting strikes twice:)
as for the sight unseen, I love Apple and would love anything they made.

The first launch of the iphone i only saw on TV, the door lady at ATT gave me the demo unit and i fell in love, I was buying one, ended up with 3 glad i had my son and his girl with me:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm curious as to how many are sure about the purchase sight unseen/touched vs how many people want/need to play with it a bit before purchasing.

There's really not quite as much risk here as you may think. The iPad is basically a BIG iPod Touch (which has been written about many many times in the press).

So if you like the iPod Touch...you will most likely like the iPad!:)

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm hoping that I'll know it when I see it or actually feel it. If it can replace my current ereaders then I'm game if its too big/ too heavy to hold for long periods of time then it may not fit the bill. My concerns relate to Form Factor - the Touch has an ideal form factor but screen is too small to make it a good ereader IMO.

There's really not quite as much risk here as you may think. The iPad is basically a BIG iPod Touch (which has been written about many many times in the press).

So if you like the iPod Touch...you will most likely like the iPad!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think of it as a stiff magazine. It's about the same size and weight, so if you can handle that then you're good to go.

OP
I
Reaction score
If that was true I would have no doubt the Ipad would fit the bill.

Unfortunately the Ipad weighs magnitudes more than a typical magazine or I should say typical of what I read.

Road & Track April 2010 weighs 7.9 ounces
Apple Ipad April 2010 weighs 1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;

7.9 oz = 0.493749 lb

Think of it as a stiff magazine. It's about the same size and weight, so if you can handle that then you're good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so think of it as holding three copies of Road & Track, or maybe one copy of a bigger magazine like GQ

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately the Ipad weighs magnitudes more than a typical magazine or I should say typical of what I read.

It sounds like you have plenty of concerns regarding the purchase of the iPad. Just wait until April 3rd...then check it out & see if it's right for you.

Just don't expect to walk out of the store on April 3rd with an iPad in hand! That's the price you pay for needing to see it, feel it, and play with it first.:(

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
On the contrary if Apple's reserve policy plays out as planned. Do a test drive in the store on the 3rd and if a GO walk out with the reserved 16, 32 or 64 - although I'm leaning towards the 16.

That was one of my initial concerns -- that if I'm going to buy a 1st gen I might as well have it on day one. Only draw back and it may be major is dealing with the crowds in the store on the 3rd.
It sounds like you have plenty of concerns regarding the purchase of the iPad. Just wait until April 3rd...then check it out & see if it's right for you.

Just don't expect to walk out of the store on April 3rd with an iPad in hand! That's the price you pay for needing to see it, feel it, and play with it first.:(

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the contrary if Apple's reserve policy plays out as planned. Do a test drive in the store on the 3rd and if a GO walk out with the reserved 16, 32 or 64 - although I'm leaning towards the 16.

That is certainly an option...and I sort of figured that is what you were going to do all along...I just didn't say anything.

Some folks might consider "reserving" an iPad...and then potentially not purchasing it...a bit "shady, sneaky, shifty, or dodgy".

Especially if iPads are in short supply initially...and someone else that really really wants one wasn't able to get one because a lot of people "reserved" them...and then didn't purchase them.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
One must work within the system that they are provided. If like most things I buy that can be returned within 15 to 30 days w/out a restocking fee (some would call this a rip-off) I would have no problem buying w/out trying. In this case I'm not willing to rent the Ipad for 14 days at 50+ to find out its not "IT". In any event I would bet that the probability of me walking out with an Ipad on the third to be greater than 80% - Unless of course there is a supply problem and reserves are not provided to accommodate orders.

I have a feeling that anyone who wants one at 3:00 on the 3rd will have their pick.

That is certainly an option...and I sort of figured that is what you were going to do all along...I just didn't say anything.

Some folks might consider "reserving" an iPad...and then potentially not purchasing it...a bit "shady, sneaky, shifty, or dodgy".

Especially if iPads are in short supply initially...and someone else that really really wants one wasn't able to get one because a lot of people "reserved" them...and then didn't purchase them.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One must work within the system that they are provided. If like most things I buy that can be returned within 15 to 30 days w/out a restocking fee (some would call this a rip-off) I would have no problem buying w/out trying.

Apple's return policy seems to revolve around whether the box is opened or not. If the box is opened...then the restocking fee is applied.

Apple Sales and Refund Policy

Take note...Best Buy's return policy indicates that there is a "restocking fee" for opened notebook computers (15%, 14 days) and opened iPhones (10%).

BestBuy.com Help

...so Apple is not unique in this area for charging a restocking fee for opened electronic merchandise.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I would wait and then go you seem not in a hurry for one so just wait, me I love my gadgets so have to order or my brain will nag me, so I always will buy sight unseen even when my first MBA ran me 3k:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.