Extended (Journaled) volume needed, no way to reformat

Reaction score
So I'm trying to boot camp my Mac OS 10.5 macbook pro to have windows 7, but it's not working.

I run boot camp assistant, and try to make a windows 32gb partition. it tries for about 10 minutes then fails with the error message:
"Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

So I backed up my computer and went into into the disk utility, and there's two disks there, the "111.8 GB Fujitsu MHW2120BH Media" disk, and inside it is the "Macintosh HD" disk.

When I select the Fujitsu disk and hit the Erase tab, everything is grayed out, and it looks like the volume format is already Mac OS Extended (Journaled), with a GUID Partition Table.

When I select the Macintosh HD disk and hit the Erase tab, everything is grayed out (except the Erase Free Space button, which I tried, and it doesn't help). This one also says its a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

I tried hitting the Verify Disk button on the First Aid tab, and it all verified cleanly. I can't figure out why it won't let me reformat my main disk, or why it even wants me to.

All of the results on the internet tell me to just hit the Erase button on the erase tab, but its grayed out for both my disks. Anyone know what I should do?

Thanks for your help!

- Evan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not erase or format a hard drive while it's mounted. That's like asking your hard drive to commit suicide. Boot the machine with your Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD and use Disk Utility from there. The drive will then erase and reformat. Make sure you have a Time Machine backup to restore from first!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.