Download help!

Reaction score
I jsut recently purchased my first Mac and I am trying to dowload Microsoft Office through my school website. I am having so much trouble! I tried doing it through Safari but someone had told me to do this through Firefox so i tried it and it still isn't working although I got further by doing it through Firefox but when i try to click on the download it says doesn't recognize the file. I know the school website isn't messed up because my friend just did it fine.
Is there anything i need to change? Or should i call Apple?
Thanks for any information you can help!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would call your school's IT department. Microsoft's downloader works fine (surprisingly enough) on all browsers. So, my guess is it's something with your school's network or server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
...but when i try to click on the download it says doesn't recognize the file.
So you are saying you were able to complete the download? What is the file type? My guess is that you just downloaded a Windows version of the software if there isn't any thing else wrong. Is your friend also using a Mac? If so then definitely call the school as mentioned above.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, she also has a Mac and it worked fine. She got hers the day before me so thats why I was thinking there wasn't anything wrong with the schools. The type of file is iso. I believe that is what you're talking about. When I used Safari it didnt even download. It just kept saying safari error. When I used Firefox i believe it actually downloaded..I just can't open it

Reaction score
You can't "open" an .iso file - It's a disk image, that needs to be burnt to media, such as CDR or DVDR, depending on the file size of the image.

Burn the .iso and then mount the media and you'll be all set.

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

OP
C
Reaction score
percent measure

You can't "open" an .iso file - It's a disk image, that needs to be burnt to media, such as CDR or DVDR, depending on the file size of the image.

Burn the .iso and then mount the media and you'll be all set.

Thanks Rottie! How do I burn and mount? im so sorry for all the questions

Reaction score
Thanks Rottie! How do I burn and mount? im so sorry for all the questions
Hi again,

Click this link to get a how-to on burning ISOs on a Mac - It explains it better than I can. :)
To mount the media, once it's been burnt, simply put it into the drive and you'll see it on the Mac's desktop - Double click to open as normal from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have problems following that, drag the .iso file to the desktop, open Disk Utility and drag it to the left hand column of Disk Utility, pop in a black CD, select the .iso image and hit the burn button.

Eject the CD, pop it back in and it should open to the install Office window. Do you need to get the activation code from the School Office?

Keep us posted?

Reaction score
or simple, you can use the same CD your friend might have burned to install office to her mac, assuming you have the key to install the same...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Check that size of that ISO first before you pop in a bank CD - I don't know about office for Mac, but I know office '07 on PC is usually distributed on DVD and is too big to fit on a single CD...

OP
C
Reaction score
After talking on the phone with Apple for an hour and a half we figured it out that is it definitely my schools server that is messing up. I downloaded something else it and it turned out fine. WOW, such a mess. Im fed up with it and Im just going to go out and buy the actual CD to install it.
Thanks for all your help...I think I tried all your advices numerous times! haha y'all are great! C-ya next time I have a problem :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.