• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HBO's The Pacific

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
I loved Band of Brothers and now they have the new show following the Marines through WW2 in the Pacific fighting against Japan. First episode premiered last Sunday. Fantastic show. Might even be better than BoB on a character and setting level ( for me anyway ).

On HBO tonight at 8pm Central.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks - watching the first part from last week now.

HBO has it up on their web site if any others would like to catch it. Starting off as if they have put some real effort into this production.

The video appears to work in IE in Win 7 and Safari in OS X. Could not get the Full Screen mode to work properly in Firefox with either OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
I loved Band of Brothers and now they have the new show following the Marines through WW2 in the Pacific fighting against Japan. First episode premiered last Sunday. Fantastic show. Might even be better than BoB on a character and setting level ( for me anyway ).

On HBO tonight at 8pm Central.

loving it, watched it last sunday. i also was a big fan of BoB, Generation Kill was great. I loved the fact that it was based on the invasion of Iraq. I was apart of that. I was even part of the capture of Saddam Hussein. Check it out for yourselves. 4th I.D. 1-10 Cav
I have orders for my involvement in this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
First episode was great, kinda slow, as they slowly introduced the characters, plot and scenes. I can't wait for tonight's episode. Looks like its going to get intense!

As for it being better than Band of Brothers, I think it's going to take a few episodes to compare. I will say The Pacific seems to have a better, more detailed plot. I love HBO series! Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Generation Kill, East-Bound and Down, Entourage. The only reason why I have HBO; I could care less for the movies.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First episode was great, kinda slow, as they slowly introduced the characters, plot and scenes.
That was a complaint I read of BoB. I loved BoB but the character development could have been better. I'm hoping that it is with The Pacific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Ahhh!! I don't have TV!! I've been waiting for this show since it was announced. I loved BoB, and Generation Kill is pretty friggin' awesome too!

I <3 HBO

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks - watching the first part from last week now.

HBO has it up on their web site if any others would like to catch it. Starting off as if they have put some real effort into this production.

The video appears to work in IE in Win 7 and Safari in OS X. Could not get the Full Screen mode to work properly in Firefox with either OS.
Thanks for the tip. I missed last weeks episode.

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
loving it, watched it last sunday. i also was a big fan of BoB, Generation Kill was great. I loved the fact that it was based on the invasion of Iraq. I was apart of that. I was even part of the capture of Saddam Hussein. Check it out for yourselves. 4th I.D. 1-10 Cav
I have orders for my involvement in this

Hoorah.
I am also Army. I should be heading to Afghan next year for my first deploy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Haven't watched the first episode yet (DVR'd it). Glad to hear it's as good as I hoped!

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing that gets me is how brutal WW2 actually was. My Great uncles fought in France and Germany and never speak of it. Most of them have since passed on.

I notice people here talking about Generation Kill. I have not yet seen that, but it kindda hits home with myself and my family. We have lot of Marines in our family who have been to Iraq and well, saw things that i wont mention here. They have since left the USMC and live with nightmares each night.

I shall be heading to my first deploy to Afghan late this year or early 2011. People often ask me why i joined the Army during a war and without all the politics of Liberals, democrats or republicans, I tell them that I as a father and citizen, wish to go fight these people in their country so they do not fight us here in America. I do not want my baby son to ever every in his life witness the likes of 9/11.

As said, Just speaking as to why I am Army and volunteer to fight in this war. Not bringing personal political beliefs into play here.

I feel proud that these brave men stood up against the enemy to protect our American freedoms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey neon that's good you're in the army. I for one joined when I was 20 just 2 months before 9.11 i got out when I was 26. Going to fight a war in the name of patriotism is just ridiculous though. It's something I wish I never done in my life. I suffered with PTSD for that last 7 years. A couple of years ago I actually went into the V.A. and checked myself in. My results were suffering from severe PTSD. sort of what you're uncles went through. I was prescribed Trazadone for sleep and completely became a zombie. I get no help from the V.A. or anythng..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
Tonight's episode was pretty intense! Picked-up pretty quick compared to the first episode. The only thing I can complain about it, is it takes 10 minutes until the actual show begins (live footage, interviews, HBO crap, etc).

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey neon that's good you're in the army. I for one joined when I was 20 just 2 months before 9.11 i got out when I was 26. Going to fight a war in the name of patriotism is just ridiculous though. It's something I wish I never done in my life. I suffered with PTSD for that last 7 years. A couple of years ago I actually went into the V.A. and checked myself in. My results were suffering from severe PTSD. sort of what you're uncles went through. I was prescribed Trazadone for sleep and completely became a zombie. I get no help from the V.A. or anythng..

Thank you for your service and i am sorry that you have suffered. I suppose my uncles did suffer from the mental aspect. I think everybody does. I use to work with a Navy SEAL and even he spoke about coming to terms with your actions and so forth.
My ultimate goal for my career is to join Special Forces. I am going through Airborne and Ranger school soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's a sweet deal neon. wish you all the luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Looking forward to this a lot. Sky start showing it over Easter here (despite initially promising that it would be shown within hours of it showing in the US).
Band Of Brothers was awesome, this should be just as good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.